2012 Honda Accord MPG...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! Hope you all had a great Sunday. I am here to get your opinions on my Accord's MPG. I will give you a quick description of my daily driving style, this is my daily driver so its used mainly for going back and forth to work plus some errands here and there. I take the "long" way to work which is a hair above 6 miles one way with speeds at 45 MPH on average. At this speed I would expect to be getting stellar MPG's but thats not the case. It usually returns 22 MPG and 21 MPG is not uncommon. The interesting thing though is that my previous car, a 2006 Accord also with the 2.4 on the same route delivered 24 MPG on average but was only rated at 21/31 MPG city/hwy, while the 2012 averages 22 MPG but is rated at 23/34 MPG city/hwy...what gives? Its maintained to the 'nth degree and tires are properly inflated. I am going to try and remember to drive like a granny the entire time before my next fill up to see if I can get better numbers.

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
eh. My 2010 Accord didn't get the best mileage either and I didn't sweat it.

Yeah, the 2008-2010 had different MPG ratings though. 2011-2012 got some updates including different AT gearing to improve MPG's.

do you have electronic mpg in the car? does it give you the cumulative average speed of the car? 6 miles one way is too short distance. You need to measure your highway miles to see if that is within the range.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dblshock
your running a cold engine 50% of the time.

Agreed. At 6 miles, you are basically short tripping, which impacts mpg. But yet his old accord that was rated worse for EPA mpg delivered better fuel economy.

I bet your average speed isn't 45. My '12 driving 90% highway got 33.3mpg throughout its life of 31,652 miles with me. The greatest influence of efficiency is the driver. Slow down. My daily trips are minimum 100 miles.

Average speed from my GPS for over 10k miles is 48mph.

2012 Accord Fuelly

My '14 gets 36.9 with the the same driving

2014 Accord Fuelly

A better way to look at mileage is gallons/100 miles. The difference between my Accords is 0.3 gallons over 100 miles...not much

Originally Posted By: mclasser
How are you calculating the MPG? The trip computer isn't always accurate.
+1, hand calculating is the only way to accurately calculate mpg.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
How are you calculating the MPG? The trip computer isn't always accurate.

Only by hand. It doesn't have a trip computer, and if it did I would still calculate by hand as they are almost never accurate.

Edit: just noticed we joined on the same day!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LotI
I bet your average speed isn't 45. My '12 driving 90% highway got 33.3mpg throughout its life of 31,652 miles with me. The greatest influence of efficiency is the driver. Slow down. My daily trips are minimum 100 miles.

Average speed from my GPS for over 10k miles is 48mph.

2012 Accord Fuelly

My '14 gets 36.9 with the the same driving

2014 Accord Fuelly

A better way to look at mileage is gallons/100 miles. The difference between my Accords is 0.3 gallons over 100 miles...not much

I am a tame driver most of the time. The only time it gets wound out is when getting on the interstate...which is a rare occurrence. As I stated in my original post, I am going to try and drive granny style until next fill up and see how many MPG's I can eek out.

21-22 US MPG converts to about 11 litres per 100km, which I'd think is a little heavy for the conditions you describe, but not terrible by any means.

Just because you're only doing 45 doesn't mean that you're handling terrain, lights, acceleration, etc efficiently. Plenty of people accelerate into red lights, speed up uphill, and mash the go pedal from a stop. You should do an honest assessment of your driving skills and behaviors, as it may shed some light into how fuel is used.

Amazing how most SUVs and trucks now get 20+ in mixed driving. I'll take the minor hit in mileage for the added utility and ride height SUVs and trucks offer.

To me it sounds about right at 6 miles one way. Your 06 got better mileage in the same commute because it was smaller and lighter.
Comparing gas mileage between people is extremely hard and rather pointless IMO. The driving styles, road conditions, traffic patterns and a ton of other elements all influence one's MPGs.

I would suggest starting a detailed MPG log. This way you will be able to see if your overall MPG is creeping up, or staying relatively the same.
My 2006 Mazda 3, for example, is sitting right now at about 27 lifetime MPG, pretty much in line with the city EPA rating. I'm sure there are plenty of people that will think it's very low for a little 2L 4 banger, but my commute is about 12 miles each way, about 70% city and 30% highway, with lots of stop and go, since it's the Greater Toronto Area, plus during the weekends it's 100% city for running errands etc.
I've been tracking my MPG since 2009. During that time my average MPG for each year has very little variation, so I know my car is performing as it should, since I'm getting the same mileage as I did when the car was only three years old.

My 2015 Grand Caravan is sitting at just over 17 mpg in similar kind of duty cycle, also in line with the EPA city rating. All my other cars returned MPGs pretty close to their respective EPA city ratings as well. So all in all, my driving style and duty cycle seems to be in line with the EPA city ratings. Once I hit the open road, I can easily beat the EPA numbers there.

this is from the EPA website--

EPA changed the way it estimates fuel economy starting with the 2008 model year. This "new" way of estimating fuel economy supplements the previous method by incorporating the effects of

Faster speeds and acceleration
Air conditioner use
Colder outside temperatures

Originally Posted By: mehullica
this is from the EPA website--

EPA changed the way it estimates fuel economy starting with the 2008 model year. This "new" way of estimating fuel economy supplements the previous method by incorporating the effects of

Faster speeds and acceleration
Air conditioner use
Colder outside temperatures

Great, but what does that have to do with OP's hand calculated fuel economy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back