Car topper question/help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay felas....I have a simple question or two regarding a small car topper type aluminum boat for next years fishing.

I am considering a 10 to maybe 12 foot boat to load into the back of my truck for the purpose of fishing small inland lakes and ponds. I want it to be stable as I will likely take a dog or two with me when I fish and I don't want it wobbling all over the place. It will never have a gas motor on it but will have an electric only. I'll most likely attach wheels to the back of it (or use some sort of light dolly I can take along) so that I can wheel it to and from a primitive launch site.

Questions are....will a Jon Boat be better than a semi-V? Will the capacity of a Jon be as much as a semi-V? Can a Jon handle the occasional chop I might encounter if the wind comes up?

I really don't want the plastic boats or a heavy fiberglass one either....so lets just stick to aluminum.

Thanks for any input.

Whatever you get, be aware that the flotation that comes with a small boat is just enough to cause the boat to float if it is ever swamped or flipped. If you add a car battery for an electric motor and the weight of an electric motor you are adding a lot of weight that will cause the boat to sink to the bottom of whatever waters you use it on should it ever get swamped or flipped. So, it is a good idea to add sufficient flotation to hold up the extra weight of the battery and electric trolling motor.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Whatever you get, be aware that the flotation that comes with a small boat is just enough to cause the boat to float if it is ever swamped or flipped. If you add a car battery for an electric motor and the weight of an electric motor you are adding a lot of weight that will cause the boat to sink to the bottom of whatever waters you use it on should it ever get swamped or flipped. So, it is a good idea to add sufficient flotation to hold up the extra weight of the battery and electric trolling motor.

Yep, I've had boats before. Just never a Jon.

Originally Posted By: FastLane
I think Jon boats ride so rough soon as there is any chop.

Even on a very small body of water? I'm only going to power it with an electric motor.

Last edited:
Flat bottom boats have a great payload for their weight. You will not need a V-hull just easing around on the 12v motor.
I have had 100# Labs moving around in various boats - "barge shape" is stable at rest or moving slow.

Last edited:
One more thing - since you want short - try to find a boat with some width (most you can load up) and it will not only be more stable - it will carry you, dogs, gear all the better ...

Thanks....I'll do that. I've been comparing the beam and the freeboard of various Jons and a lot of difference exists out there.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
Lowe makes a 1040 Jon.

I've had both styles of small aluminum boats. Jons never felt as stable to me.

Really? Was that in calm water or just in the chop?

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
Lowe makes a 1040 Jon.

I've had both styles of small aluminum boats. Jons never felt as stable to me.

Really? Was that in calm water or just in the chop?

Just calm days on local lakes.

I have spent lots of time watching construction of the largest cargo ships in the world. Other than the ends, they are barge shaped. This is displacement at work. (A body in a fluid is lighter in weight by an amount equal to that of which it displaces)
One of my smaller boats is barge shaped but for the nose. Bow is the only wobbly area in the boat. But this little short but wide boat is double hull fiberglass - it can counter balance your movements - it is heavy.
But since you are looking for a very small and light boat - expect it to move when you get out of the middle standing up.
I would speculate the V hull aluminum is heavier too - and not box shaped like your truck bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back