Piston Soak-LC20 or Berryman's B-12 or MMO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I locked the automatic in '3' for 10 minutes on I-84 screaming at ~4k to tune 'er. up and get the junk out.

OK, I gassed up and then went for a highway trip and gassed up again, result 40.9 mpg. Not bad for a 4 speed automatic.

Wow, I think this soak did some good. I know it is too early to claim victory, but I have put 378 more miles on the car since the oil Change and the level is still above the hashmark area.

Here is what I did.

Added 2 ounces of Chemtool to each piston. Let soak for a few hours. I refrained from bumping the motor since Chemtool would remove any oil film

I then sprayed a liberal amount of PB-Blaster to each piston top and let it sit a long time before spinning the motor.

After a few hours I put a couple ounces of Rislone Engine Treatment Concentrate in each cylinder. Every so often for the next couple days I would bump the engine for a couple seconds.

I used newspaper folded up to soak any pools of fluid remaining.

I neglected to mention, I did idle the engine for 10 minutes after the piston soak (smoke galore) and then drained and filled again for a follow up flush. I did not want any nasty residual Chemtool/PB-Blaster mixed with the Mobil 1. I filled with 2 quarts of Quaker State Higher Mileage Engine 10w-30 (the good stuff w/Slick 50), 8 ounces of MMO and a pint of Valvoline VR1 SAE60 and idled that for 10 minutes. Then I drained and filled with Mobil 1 & the FL400S

@430 miles

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
I would do it in stages

B-12
MMO
LC20

I will be doing a soak soon on my trusty SL2

Chemtool for a couple hours
PB Blaster for a bit then bump the engine a couple times
Rislone Engine Treatment and bump the engine every so often for a few hours.

Using PB blaster. That's something I never thought about for my old willys when I first got it. Unless I do not remember if I did or not. I'm planning on swapping the motor out eventually so it runs fine for me when I do drive it.

FOR THIS situation I wouldn't use Mobil 1 expensive oil while your are figuring this problem out. If you are concerned about the oil!

Last edited:
Mobil 1 is cheap after rebate and I have a stash of it thanks To BITOG. Over 500 miles I have used hardly any oil. It is looking like a very good improvement.

Also, there was a 2003 GM TSB on Saturn oil consumption that recommended a Mobil 1 5w-30 or 10w-30 oil change immediately after the piston soak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back