Tires for 02' Dakota 2wd pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and real dad has a 02' Dakota 2wd with 93,xxx on it and came from VA. Was EX Verizon truck and is super clean. Has 2 Goodyear wrangler p rated tires on front and some cheap a** LT Firestone tires on rear that have cracks inside and outer sidewall. I recommended two of the Goodyear wranglers for rear. He hauls coal, firewood and not much else with the truck

Thank you in advance for suggestions

The Firestone AT is one of the best light truck tires you can buy.

Those are probably original to the truck!

My brother routinely gets over 90,000 miles out of his Firestone ATs and replaces them for age, not wear.

Check tirerack.com and see what the feedback looks like. The Firestones win the category every time...

https://www.tirerack.com

Well...almost every time...but still top of the category in his size...

Last edited:
Thanks sir and will do
smile.gif

If he hauls a lot of weight, try to find a set of 16" wheels for it, that would enable using cheap LT tires, which are hard to wear out (& generally cheaper than the C rated 15" tires it probably came with). My Wrangler experiences haven't been great, but Bridgestone/Firestone makes some really good truck tires, IMHO-I've used Dueler A/T Revos, Revo 2s, Transforce A/Ts, even the cheap Timberline A/T LTs weren't bad.

Last edited:
I have a 2008 Dodge Dakota with 16 inch wheels on it and i took the P metric off and put them away and i have LT on the truck.I hauled everything from sod to top soil etc. and never had any issuses.The side walls are stiff and the truck has less bounce when going over bumps and such and rides nice. And just like bullwinkle has just said they are hard to wear out plus i keep the tires at 44 PSI.So yes you would be fine with LT tires on the Dakota for the chores

Originally Posted By: car51
P 235/75/r15 and P rated tires came on truck.

ok

Any special considerations? Is price of utmost importance? That is, does he just want something cheap, or is he willing to spend more?

Hankook Optimo H727
Hankook Dynapro ATM
Cooper Discoverer M+S
Kumho Road Venture AT51
Michelin LTX AT2

Originally Posted By: car51
P 235/75/r15 and P rated tires came on truck.

Yeah but what load range? Could be 101-108 or so.

They also make XL versions which are in between P and LT. 41 PSI.

The world's your oyster in that size.

Firestone Destination LE or AT's. I've had several Dakota's over the years and these tires really went well with the truck. Mine were all 2 wheel drive also.

He went with some good years that were rated same as the fire stones that were on truck. Good choice I say as he may haul stuff or not. He has other projects and being retired doesn't drive much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back