0% ethanol gas please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in tx and there is a place that sells (or used to sell)it and also the marina's say their gas is ethanol-free. the place that sells it was a small oil company. have you looked at the bottle fuels for small engines sold at home
depot/lowes/walmart ?

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
yes there should be a loss in mileage based on the lower energy density of ethanol.

i like to make my decision at the pump as to what I am going to use, even though in my case for the vehicles i drive it has always calculated to be better to put E0 in my tank.

search this forum many threads discussing this at length.

The federal government in all it's infinite wisdom created a bit of a mess in allowing each state to interpret it's 10% ethanol requirement in fuels and not being specific. Each state then created their own standard and that is why different states use different octane fuels to meet the fed standard.

Generally true on all counts. But some engines, when the ECM is properly tuned by the OEM, can experience vary little deviance in fuel economy from E0 thru E15. I have seen no appreciable difference in fuel economy. And my heavy 2015 Silverado 2500 with a 6.0L, running primarily on E15, has been in the top range of averages of mpg compared to others pickups in that same class.

And some engines, when designed with something like E85 as the primary fuel, have shown diesel like power and diesel like fuel economy. There are many characteristics to ethanol that our antiquated NA motors cannot take full advantage of. Cummins 2.8L E85 engine blows the socks off a 5.7L Hemi in fuel economy and power. And reaches peak torque at half the RPM of the 5.7L.

And government manipulation of things has indeed messed things up. But that is the norm no matter what we are talking about.

My area once grew food/feed corn - counted on rain - it was just one of many crops. Now, tied to fuel supply chain ? Miles and miles of corn all irrigated with river water we all compete for. And the chemical companies compete for the farmers business.
Have had no car/truck issues - boat is another story.
Boat motor companies/dealers are getting there - for example our Yamaha dealer rigs boats with Evinrude hoses - says they handle the fuel best.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
My area once grew food/feed corn - counted on rain - it was just one of many crops. Now, tied to fuel supply chain ? Miles and miles of corn all irrigated with river water we all compete for. And the chemical companies compete for the farmers business.
Have had no car/truck issues - boat is another story.
Boat motor companies/dealers are getting there - for example our Yamaha dealer rigs boats with Evinrude hoses - says they handle the fuel best.

Quite reasonable that there would be more irrigation in your area, but only 15% of the nation's cropland is irrigated, and then, most of that is for vegetable type of farming like it done in the San Joaquin and Imperial valley areas of California. There tends to be more irrigation used for corn where the crop is actually being grown for seed as opposed to ethanol or some feed use, and many sweet corn varieties. And that is the problem with the average person, they have no clue that there are different grades and types of corn. They would confuse a sweet corn field used for canned corn at the grocery store with #2 yellow dent field corn that is used for ethanol production, and even then, couldn't tell a seed corn production field from that either. It is easy for magazine articles and such to persuade folks that have no real perspective on such things.

Along with the naive concept by many that corn going into an ethanol plant is forever lost to feed use and other uses. 17-18 lb of feed stocks come out of every bushel of corn that goes into an ethanol plant. Along with by products used to make spark plug insulators, baby diapers, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, etc. And most of the CO2 that is generated at ethanol plants is the primary source for the beverage industry. Nothing is wasted. And because of the ancillary products alone that come out of ethanol production, the production of ethanol will continue. it is the best way to obtain these other byproducts. And many don't realize that these corn ethanol plants are the primary source of ethanol for the beverage industry also.

And the big misconception about water.... ethanol production has gotten water use down to almost the same level of water to produce a gallon of ethanol as it does a gallon of gasoline.

In Illinois this year, at least where I am at, it will be a bumper crop year. The corn silked out by the 4th of July. Way ahead of normal. Very little loss through ponding and plenty of water and heat.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Use Gumout with Regane products,Startron, or some of Royal Purple products and protect your vehicles.
Protect it from what? I've been using E10 since the 80's and have no need for extra chemicals.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Originally Posted By: Marco620
Use Gumout with Regane products,Startron, or some of Royal Purple products and protect your vehicles.
Protect it from what? I've been using E10 since the 80's and have no need for extra chemicals.

Yeah, I thought the same thing.. protect from what? Since at least 1978. Never had any issues yet. I had just got released from Fitzsimmons Army Medical Center after medivac from overseas. Went home on leave and bought a new ride. Went to fill up and saw they had gasohol (E10), so decided to give it a try. Never even considered there was a problem with it, and my vehicle never got the memo that it was a terrible thing either. Fact is, until all the scare stuff on the internet, I never even gave it a second thought. Imagine, several decades of use and now it is a terrible thing and will destroy an engine. How did we ever get along so well before the internet?

There is an app for your smartphone if you got one. Pure Gas. The app comes in handy when in need for fuel for power equipment, your boat, and such. It lists stations where pumps that are close to 0% ethanol.

You pay nearly 40-50cents more per gallon, too, at any station with non-ethanol fuel.

The auto industry got ahead of it faster than outboard motor companies - when the marine environment had more to be concerned with.
They were in a pee-pee contest over simple things like a fuel/water separator. I was told not to use one.
Said "Jimmy cracked corn" (sorry) and put my own in. Now they all have that and a finishing filter - like your big rigs tend to do.
They now know the right hoses to use all that ... There are good additives too. Motor on.

Fair enough. They had good rain this year and the pumps are off. The state monitors run off into bays and are not sounding any alarms. They are also building a reservoir to help balance the use of water.
Farmers are often 3rd generation or so - they will grow crops for a living and coexist with the oilfield folks too.
Seems they need each other - all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back