Code Reader - Useful Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several years ago, I bought an inexpensive' Code Reader.
This is the device you plug-in under your steering wheel when your Check Engine Light comes on.
Wasn't used too much except to confirm I had NO 'pending' Codes.

Over the Summer it was needed twice.
Both times the Check Engine Light came on. But their also good at checking for Pending Codes.
Do your repair and Delete any Codes. Recheck several days later.

1.) Driving down the road and engine feels like it's hesitating every 10 seconds.
Ended up changing the Throttle Position Sensor. $30.00 part at Auto Zone.

2.) Driving down the road and at every red light, I get a Rough Idle.
Ended up changing the Spark Plugs. $45.00 at Auto Zone. Bought Iridium this time.

These Code Readers are a great diagnostic tool for the DIYer.
For the small amount of money (maybe $50.00), way better to own than relying on an Auto Store to check for you.

A side note: I have to watch the 'gaps' of Spark Plugs.
I removed Motorcraft (platinum) after 37,000 miles.
3 plugs on drivers side had a .080" gap (should be .044")
Passenger side plugs had .046" gap.
Other than the gaps being over, every thing else looked good.

Last edited:
I bought a bluetooth code reader on Amazon for $20 a few years ago. You need to download an app on your smartphone to use it and you end up having a very good code reader for under $30.

Yep, a handy tool indeed. Bought an inexpensive Actron Pocket scan at Amazon years ago, before joining bitog. It's saved me money and time and paid for itself many times over. Helped me identify things like failed precats on a 2.5L Nissan and a worn air fuel ratio sensor on a Tacoma. To just clearing gas cap code without having to wait for the irritating light to go out on it's own.

Having the code, and using Google and internet research, ime one can get a pretty good idea what's going on.

If they were double platinum plugs look and see if the ground pad blew off.
This is a good entry level reader, I have one I loan out to check for monitor readiness after repair and clearing the codes.
Quoted from Trav

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The ground looked OK.
Problem I saw was the Center Electrode has a very small diameter that measures .037"
It was that small diameter wearing away that increased the gap.
I bought Iridium this time to see if they wear better.
Other than that, I'll just check them every 3 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARB1977
I bought a kiwi 3 and use a torque pro app. Found a custom pid file for transmission temp.

Smart.

I just plugged in my OBD reader and took these screenshots on my smartphone. My car didn't come with a boost gauge, but I can see what it is with my cheap investment.
I can get ignition misfire counts and see if a spark plug or (being a VW) an ignition coil is going bad/is bad.

Originally Posted By: Trav
If they were double platinum plugs look and see if the ground pad blew off.
This is a good entry level reader, I have one I loan out to check for monitor readiness after repair and clearing the codes.

http://www.tooltopia.com/equus-30203.asp...CFYokhgodYa0DoQ
On Fords with the waste spark systems, bank one side would be double plats and bank two came with normal plats. When normal plats are used all around bank one wears a lot faster.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
On Fords with the waste spark systems, bank one side would be double plats and bank two came with normal plats. When normal plats are used all around bank one wears a lot faster.

Interesting, that explains that. Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Yep, a handy tool indeed. Bought an inexpensive Actron Pocket scan at Amazon years ago, before joining bitog. It's saved me money and time and paid for itself many times over. Helped me identify things like failed precats on a 2.5L Nissan and a worn air fuel ratio sensor on a Tacoma. To just clearing gas cap code without having to wait for the irritating light to go out on it's own.

Having the code, and using Google and internet research, ime one can get a pretty good idea what's going on.

Plus one. Have the same unit and it has been very helpful.

I had a $20 dollar scanner as well. I ended up getting a BlueDriver. And its great. Lots of good support if needed, frequent updates and has lots of good features, checks ABS SRS and CEL codes.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Its a 2002 Ranger, it does not.
Yes, the fancy display shown in Skyactive's reply is not going to be applicable to the 2002 Ranger. Ranger is NOT going give you decoded Mode$6 data as shown by him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back