Did I break my rear disc caliper? Mazda 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tools I rented to turn back the caliper wouldn't fit. Don't know why. So I was able to turn it back by hand with pliers. It was fine, then I thought I heard a spring release/snap.The piston started to move outwards. This is my first time with read disc brakes, I opened the brake resevior to allow for fluid to back up. I was checking that when I heard the noise. I can retract the piston, but it just come out again. The Haynes manual states I should open the brake bleeder when retracting. I didn't. Am i looking at a new rear caliper?

Does the piston have some funny retraction setup like Chrysler does where the piston spins? Is the rear caliper seized?

Is this the first time the rear brakes are being serviced? What model year and mileage?

The car is an 2007 Mazda 3. 128K, Probably the original read pads. Said FoMoCo on the pads. Either original, or at least OEM if someone replaced them.The parking brake wasn't engaged, but. I released the parking brake, but didn't remove it the cable as instructed by the Haynes manual. Which I decide to read after it broke . Picked up a re-built via bicycle and gravity feed the brakes. Car is working, need to get someone to properly bleed the brakes. I need to do more research to before I go to the other side.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tgrudzin
didn't remove it the cable as instructed by the Haynes manual. Which I decide to read after it broke

There's a lesson here, somewhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back