Radiator Hose Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
13 years is when its time to armor all them.

Just like when us second and third handers get our auto at 10-15 years and 100-150k miles we give it the eye........psf, trans, belt/hose inspection, greasing, etc......aka 100+ point inspection to keep 'er going to 300,000 if possible. Then I would drive it to the junkyard or pass it on to the fourth hander that rebuilds and does heavy restoration.

Last edited:
Just replaced the upper and lower rad hoses on the wife's car. Both developed leaks within a few weeks of each other. Goodyear brand.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Anduril
Just replaced the upper and lower rad hoses on the wife's car. Both developed leaks within a few weeks of each other. Goodyear brand.

I would bet that the clamps and/or clamp installation are to blame. Never heard of new hoses leaking because they are defective.

Originally Posted By: Kira
A possible 14 year age could easily put anyone into the "It'll make me feel better" zone.

I am not answering for the Arkansan...just my guess.

Remember, everyone knows hoses are much better than before but NOBODY will commit to ANY estimate of lifespan.

...and we're all so smart.

This (14 years) is when I did my sister's Jeep's hoses. The old ones looked a bit dry and crispy compared to the new ones.

I'm doing my 2002 Volvo's now. Remember to do any and all. 2 radiator, 2 heater AND whatever bypass hoses might exist.

Also, do they not age from within as well? Would you inspect a 14 year old hose's inwards then REINSTALL IT? I don't think so. Kira

In a second. (Offhand, the upper & lower hoses on my Dakota were, to all appearances, original...I reused them when I did the water pump.)

Not sure they still do, but: for a long time, Gates would make any hose in its catalog out of silicone, which will last the life of the vehicle!

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Originally Posted By: Anduril

I would bet that the clamps and/or clamp installation are to blame. Never heard of new hoses leaking because they are defective.

I mean both old hoses (original to the car as far as I know) failed within a week of each other. New ones are fine. Just stating what I used as replacements, since people seem to be asking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back