Honda PC800 rear tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Size is an oddball 140/80-15...tire is pretty much toast after a long road trip in hot conditions, now has chunks of rubber missing.
eek.gif
SO...does anyone actually have ANYTHING in that size other than a Metzler ME880? (There is allegedly a Dunlop 555, but it seems to be out of stock.)

Anything else available? I have found one other in that size (an Avon, I think), but it's a bloody tube tire.

I would just go with the Metzeler ME880 Marathon, and call it a day. If the front tire is old and/or worn, I'd replace both tires. The bike will feel like new with new quality rubber.

You can always see if a slightly wider tire will fit on the rim. I know quite a few people who have my bike get a 180 series tire on their bikes that came with a 170.

The Metzelter is a good tire, just terrible in the rain in my experience. I took the 880's off my bike and replaced them with more confidence inspiring (sticky) Pirellis.

I've ran the Metzler 888 Marathon Ultra for about a year on my Harley EG. After 7,000 miles they're at about 50%. Very smooth and predictable on uneven pavement and tar snakes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 02SE
I would just go with the Metzeler ME880 Marathon, and call it a day. If the front tire is old and/or worn, I'd replace both tires. The bike will feel like new with new quality rubber.

The front was replaced due to damage last year. Considering the reason the tire needs replacing is that it looks like it is about to come apart, ahe is not eager to use another ME880.

Originally Posted By: rrounds
You could try a 155/80-15 car tire.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearch...rearDiameter=17
Should get 25+K miles out of that one.

ROD

If you care at all about decent handling, don't go the "darksider" route. That's for people that are so incredibly cheap, they will severely compromise their bikes handling for longer tread wear.

Describe, in detail, your experience riding darksided motorcycles. Be specific.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: rrounds
You could try a 155/80-15 car tire.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearch...rearDiameter=17
Should get 25+K miles out of that one.

ROD

If you care at all about decent handling, don't go the "darksider" route. That's for people that are so incredibly cheap, they will severely compromise their bikes handling for longer tread wear.

Describe, in detail, your experience riding darksided motorcycles. Be specific.

I've tried more than a few bikes with car tires mounted on the rear. Granted none of the bikes were Sportbikes to begin with, but the car tire invariably made the bikes handle poorly. Tire squirm, lack of traction, reluctance to lean over in the first place, I could go on.

If saving a buck at the expense of a well-handling bike is of utmost importance to you, by all means go ahead.

I've tried more than a few bikes with car tires mounted on the rear. Granted none of the bikes were Sportbikes to begin with, but the car tire invariably made the bikes handle poorly. Tire squirm, lack of traction, reluctance to lean over in the first place, I could go on.

If saving a buck at the expense of a well-handling bike is of utmost importance to you, by all means go ahead.

I would say it works fine for some...

Yes: the Goldwing ripping through Deals Gap at maybe 80-85% of a sportbike's pace is darksided!

I know a couple of darksiders...neither did it for reasons having anything to do with saving money.

Look, I'm not going to debate this with you. Do whatever you want.

It adversely affects the handling, I've experienced it. If it was the way to go, Motorcycle manufacturers would be installing car tires on bikes from the factory.

If there is supposed to be a video in your post, it's not working.

I'll assume there is a video of a Goldwing equipped with a car tire running through Deals Gap. Imagine how much better it could handle with a decent Motorcycle tire..

I'll also assume it's the guy that has made it his life goal to memorize the over-crowded and over-rated Deals Gap, and ride it as fast as he can on his compromised-handling Goldwing.

Finally, saying 80-85% of a Sportbikes' pace means nothing, without knowing how skilled the Sportbike rider is. I see lots of Sportbike riders who can't lean their bikes past 30°, to say nothing of the rest of their riding skills.

Last edited:
It is Yellow Wolf. He stated many times that the car tire was-at no point-the limiting factor in how his Wing handled.

I understand: everything needs to be a neat little box for you. Anyone thinking outside the box terrifies you.

It is Yellow Wolf. He stated many times that the car tire was-at no point-the limiting factor in how his Wing handled.

I understand: everything needs to be a neat little box for you. Anyone thinking outside the box terrifies you.

As I said, it's the guy who has made it his life goal to run Deals Gap.

Your stating that thinking outside the box terrifies me, means you truly know nothing about me.

Something about you has become very apparent though. Your goal is to always choose the cheapest option, no matter the compromise involved. You wouldn't know superior performance, because you'll never spend the money to experience it.

My suggestion now is to buy the cheapest retread car tire you can find, and enjoy saving a few bucks (and sub-par performance).

Last edited:
You could not be more wrong if you tried.

Your posting history says otherwise.

But keep trying, I am enjoying laughing at you.

I should know by now that offering you advice is a waste of time. You ask for advice, and then ridicule anyone that doesn't suggest the absolute cheapest option, time and again.

Now if you'll excuse me from your idea of self-abuse, I'm going to go do some "thinking outside of the box", to see if the vehicle I'm consulting on this weekend, can set a new record on the Salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back