Toyo Versado Noir

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any experience with this tire? Looks like a touring tire with a soft ride.
Don't really hear much about Toyo tires except for maybe truck tires.

Probably too late on this but if you are still looking at these tires I put a set on a Ford Escape in February. So far I really like them and am pleased with the purchase. I liked the original equipment Continentals that the Escape had and wanted something comparable. The Toyos have fit the bill, hold the road and a good ride. Had Toyos before on a F150 and those were great tires as well. I always chose Michelin or Goodyear for replacements before but now I'm a believer in Toyo.

Within the last two weeks I purchased two new sets of the Versado Noir.

One set is 195/65/15" and the other a 16" size. I just had the 15" mounted this week and will not have the 16" mounted until the beginning of winter. Here are a couple of things I noticed. Just observations:

1. The tires have a date codes of 4214 and 4014. That is September of 2014 which happens to be the time when these tires were first introduced by Toyo. The tires look, smell and appear to my eye to be just as fresh as if they were made in the current year.

2. The 15" tire is listed at 11/32nds tread depth. I have measured the tread depth at least 20 times (in BITOG fashion!) both before mounting and after mounting at the correct tire pressure (33 lbs). This was using my tire gauge and confirmed with my set of calipers. The tread depth is simply not 11/32 but is 10/32nds.

It does leave one puzzled why Toyo chooses to overstate the tread depth? Is this an industry wide practice? Somehow I doubt it with the number of lawyers that are looking for the low hanging fruit these days.

I haven't checked the 16" set yet as they are stored offsite for now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cressida

The 15" tire is listed at 11/32nds tread depth. I have measured the tread depth at least 20 times (in BITOG fashion!) both before mounting and after mounting at the correct tire pressure (33 lbs). This was using my tire gauge and confirmed with my set of calipers. The tread depth is simply not 11/32 but is 10/32nds.

It does leave one puzzled why Toyo chooses to overstate the tread depth? Is this an industry wide practice? Somehow I doubt it with the number of lawyers that are looking for the low hanging fruit these days.

The tire information and the specs that tire manufacturer post on line and in sales brochures are often wrong.
I have found major mistakes by B.F. Goodrich, Cooper and Yokohama. When I contacted them B.F. Goodrich corrected the mistakes but the other two just left up the incorrect information.

Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
Originally Posted By: Cressida

The 15" tire is listed at 11/32nds tread depth. I have measured the tread depth at least 20 times (in BITOG fashion!) both before mounting and after mounting at the correct tire pressure (33 lbs). This was using my tire gauge and confirmed with my set of calipers. The tread depth is simply not 11/32 but is 10/32nds.

The tire information and the specs that tire manufacturer post on line and in sales brochures are often wrong.
I have found major mistakes by B.F. Goodrich, Cooper and Yokohama. When I contacted them B.F. Goodrich corrected the mistakes but the other two just left up the incorrect information.

Just to set the record straight, I just checked and Cooper did correct the wrong specs they had listed. It took them about a month.

A couple of thoughts:

Tread depth: It is pretty common for tire manufacturers to make mistakes in their listing for tread depths. The molds measure one thing and the tires get stretched out and measure something smaller. Frequently the mold tread depth is just a bit over 10 1/2 32nds, so they call it 11, but when inflated the number drops below 10 1/2, so it rounds off to 10.

Tire age when purchased: Tires don't age much when properly stored. All the tire manufacturers have warehouses that are properly ventilated, so they stay cool and out of the sun. I haven't seen any tire distributors that aren't the same.

But tire retailers is a different story. The vast majority have good storage facilities, but every so often one will try to store tires out in the sun or in an old shipping container. The good news is that these are rare and can almost be discounted.

When I was working, the company used a 3 year limit for their own internal practices. They had a lot of data that supported the notion that 3 year old tires performed at the same level as brand new.

At 2 1/2 years, they would offer a discount to get them out of their hands - with the idea that the wholesaler/retailer would pass the savings on and the tires would be quickly sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back