but what STRENGTH' jack do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Figure the weight of the vehicle divided by 4 more or less.

A 1.5 ton jack can lift roughly 80% of the entire weight of your heaviest vehicle.

My concern would be the lift height though.

Bigger. That little 1.5 ton jack won't be very long or wide. That means it'll be more likely to tip. It is also likely not going to get very high. That'll be an issue for getting the Highlander's wheels off the ground.

A low-profile 3-ton jack that raises up to 18-20" high should work fine on both vehicles.

I figure you should get a jack to lift 50% of the vehicles weight. Keep in mind that a 3 ton jack will be a lot heavier to lug around. Don't rule out bottle jacks.

While the highlander is not a big "truck" it will have higher ground clearance, and because it has independent suspension there is no axle to jack on which means you have to lift from the body.

You will need a jack that has a pretty high lift height, many 1-3 ton jacks may not have enough height. For cars of that size I wouldn't get less than a 3 ton jack, but you need to also check lift height.

I use my jack to lift entire front of the car so I can change the oil. With the engine in front it should weigh more than 50% of the entire car. Of course I jack the car after I lift it for safety. So do not think you should only lift 1/4 of the car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
I use my jack to lift entire front of the car so I can change the oil. With the engine in front it should weigh more than 50% of the entire car. Of course I jack the car after I lift it for safety. So do not think you should only lift 1/4 of the car.
Why not use ramps made from scrap 2 bys ? Easier and safer.

Sears has a 2-1/2 ton Craftsman jack on sale for $53.

Watch for sales, my brother bought a 3 ton Craftsman jack, two 3-ton jack stands and a creeper for $99 last year.

Definitely pay attention to lift height.

As for capacity, it depends on the manufacturer for me. if I were buying quality (hein Werner, us jack, Milwaukee hydraulics) I would have no issues going with1.5T.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Like most things in life the bigger the better.

Especially with something like a jack.

As you lift one corner you're compressing the spring on the opposite corner and realistically lifting 1/2 the vehicle weight.

Furthermore very few cars have a 50/50 weight split so you want to be able to lift the "heavy corner."

One party trick with todays thicker sway bars is to lift under the firewall behind a driver's wheel and have the whole side of the car go in the air.

You may also want to use a central lifting point so you can put jack stands under the prescribed points.

I'd get at least a 2 ton in your scenario.

"Rule of Thumb" for minimum capacity for jacks is 3/4ths of the vehicle's total weight.

Your heaviest vehicle rounds up to 4,000 ; 3/4 of that is 1.5 ton.

That sets 1.5 ton as the minimum ; I agreed with "eljefino" - I'd get a 2-ton and feel better with the overcapacity.

I don't think the Highlander has a high enough frame to require a high-lift ( >20" ) jack, but it's worth checking.

Ramps are safer as noted, but do you no good when you need to put it on cribbing or jack stands to work with a wheel off.

The Arcan 3 ton jack from Costco is a penny under $100; S&H is $5. Weight is 58 lbs.

A few years back I bought their XL35R, an all-steel one. It's a bit heavy
at 100 lbs. I'd get the above one if I had it to do over again.

The larger wheels spread the load onto my old driveway better, so I get fewer jack tracks on the old concrete driveway, and the wheels get less deformed from the tiny rocks standing proud of the concrete base.

Also, sometimes I want to pull the vehicle sideways a bit once it's on a jack. A lot easier to do it with the wider wheels on the XL35R.

Originally Posted By: spackard
The Arcan 3 ton jack from Costco is a penny under $100; S&H is $5. Weight is 58 lbs.

A few years back I bought their XL35R, an all-steel one. It's a bit heavy
at 100 lbs. I'd get the above one if I had it to do over again.

The larger wheels spread the load onto my old driveway better, so I get fewer jack tracks on the old concrete driveway, and the wheels get less deformed from the tiny rocks standing proud of the concrete base.

Also, sometimes I want to pull the vehicle sideways a bit once it's on a jack. A lot easier to do it with the wider wheels on the XL35R.

Trying to reposition a vehicle that's on a jack, using the wheels of the jack, sounds hairy as [censored].

Originally Posted By: spackard
You are a very cruel person :) I will eat the jack if you would be kind enough to provide the URL for me to order it.

Looks like I will have to eat the jack! What do I know; that jack is now available over the Costco website. I had been looking for it for years.

Thanks to Spackard, now my wallet is lighter by $120 (including the tax). I called my local store and they had none. When I asked them if they ever had any, she told me they had them in July. How did I miss it? I was in the store in July and I don't remember seeing them. I always wander around the store looking for new and interesting items.

Oh well, I put in the internet order.

FWIW I just bought a Northern Tool 2 ton "racing" jack that is partially aluminum/steel and it works very well for 70 bucks if anyone is interested in a good jack for little $$$.

Some jacks have extensions you just add onto the saddle to lift higher vehicles. AutoZone has one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back