Sick of cable TV expense, what are my options ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now I have a bundle from Wide Open West that is 30Mbps internet and cable TV with a fair amount of HD channels for about $150/mo. But I'm not using the cable TV portion much at all, and I'm beginning to think it's dumb to pay for it just in case something comes on that I want to make time to sit and watch. Like the Olympics for instance. Good to have the CATV in HD to watch some competitions, but otherwise it's local news/weather and then AMC Walking Dead (fall) or TNT The Last Ship (now) and not much else. Not into reality shows at all.

I need broadband internet service, however. Is 30Mbps enough bandwidth to stream to a roku or a smart TV?

Update: Just ran a speed test and it showed 33.96 Mbps down and 5.48 Mbps up.

yes, if you look at netflix's recommendations you can get a general idea of bandwidth requirements.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality

I'm sure someone more tech savvy than I am would be able to state this better, but often there will be multiple devices on my network including streaming Netflix on a TiVo, Xbox one live gaming, multiple phones, a tablet, a laptop, and a desktop all being used at once. Nothing missed a beat with 25 Mbps using the router provided by Verizon. But, I still pay about $70 per month for internet alone. I am able to get about 100 channels off the local airwaves. Most are junk, but everything is digital, of course, and all the networks are full HD. I do this with a 20 year old antenna from Radio Shack mounted in my attic.

Rock 'n Roll, thanks Ray !!

Next question, what options are out there to watch more current stuff than what Netflix offers. I have Netflix now, it's $9.99/mo and comes in over the coax cable as part of Wide Open West's Ultra TV bundle that I have, to play on the non-smart TV as one of the menu selections from WoW. But..... I don't use Netflix much either, and may cancel it as well.

Is there a way to watch other stuff streamed that is better than Netflix. TNT lets you stream episodes of The Last Ship one week late in the current season, for free. That's not bad. That's the kind of thing I seek. AMC is a lot more restrictive with streaming The Walking Dead I think.... can only stream for free the prior season's episodes (?...)

I just want to quit cable TV but still have the ability to watch some stuff but for a lot less than cable TV costs.

My wife and I cut the cable a couple of years ago. We use a Roku 3 and pay only for Hulu + the non advertising version. Have an indoor antenna and get 11 local channels. If you want more then using Sling TV with a Roku or other streaming device. Check out the Sling TV web site. We find plenty of free stuff on the Roku and all we pay for is Hulu + ad free version.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
My wife and I cut the cable a couple of years ago. We use a Roku 3 and pay only for Hulu + the non advertising version. Have an indoor antenna and get 11 local channels. If you want more then using Sling TV with a Roku or other streaming device. Check out the Sling TV web site. We find plenty of free stuff on the Roku and all we pay for is Hulu + ad free version.

What are some of the costs on those options if you don't mind me inquiring? Thank you.

Cut my cord 10 years ago and I don't miss it. There's been an antenna on the roof since. I kept the internet.

https://www.sling.com/

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/

https://www.skystreamx.com/products/skystreamx4-android-tv-box

Check those links out above.

Right now,we have:HuluPlus,Netflix and Chromecast.

Anything you bring up using your Google Chrome browser on your computer with the chromecast extension,you can bring up on your TV
wink.gif

In about a month or so,we'll be using the SkyStreamx box.

There are more streaming options out there,check out these first and see what you like,etc.

Cut mine about 7 years ago, I stream Netflix through my PS3, I buy seasons on DVD/Blueray for stuff not on Netflix that I really want to watch like Vikings, Game of Thrones, The Last Ship etc. You will cut your TV watching down a lot, That's a good thing in my opinion. I would cut the Internet if I could!!!

Amazon Prime streams but frankly I look on netflix first.

I rocked netflix on 2 mbits/sec so 25 will more than handle it. You can "throttle" your netflix device with advanced router settings if you want your actual internet to work quickly concurrently.

I keep re-upping the cable promotional rate time periods for internet. A slight hassle but worth it.

We have Hulu Plus (no ads), Netflix, and Amazon Prime. We use Prime a lot for other things (music, shipping, etc., so it's not going anywhere and their video selection isn't nearly good enough to justify it being the sole source of content. The other two, we'll probably start paying for only part of the year. Hulu Plus in the fall, when all of our favorite shows come on, and Netflix when we have enough free time to binge watch all of the comedy specials and other shows we've missed.

As it is, I don't have much time for TV due to work and school stuff (except for when I'm procrastinating...ok, so I have plenty of time to watch tv) My wife likes her shows and she like to have the tv on in the background while she working, so we'll always stream something.

I've never actually tried an antenna (not since I was a kid, with our 13 channel rotary-knob tv) and I'm worried it'll be a waste of money. I wouldn't mind catching some local news now and again, though.

Either 'chip' your cable if you must have TV, or engage with life and the world more by getting rid of TV completely and going out to do stuff instead of vegetating before the tube.

Haven't had TV for over 15 years.
27.gif

I really don't miss it. Seems like its 60% commercials too.

All one really needs is the internet.

Netflix has the Walking Dead, but I want to say its a year behind. Lots of good stuff though. A Netflix subscription IMO is way cheaper than buying the complete series of a TV show too.

Last edited:
Cable and satellite are pricing themselves out of business.Dropping my "Direct TV " after my 2yr subscription ends in October.Thinking of going to Sling TV , but will check into Netflix also. Already own a Roku 3 thay I`ve loaded with free channels.

I've never paid for TV. Bought laser discs, VHS tapes, then some DVD's. Had an antenna for all the local + PBS. Also listened to music quite a bit while reading instead of watching.

Still receive TV OTA, but digital allows about 30 channels. Lots of junk. LOTS of things to watch via internet though for free. Great episode I found was Bron/Broen, a Swedish production. Very well done. Puts current American shows to shame. Watched it all with headphones on a 17" laptop, with English subtitles. PBS has picked up several of the BBC shows and an Australian one. They want to charge for their current back episodes though. So a bit of searching revealed the shows from other European sources. I find it great to be able to watch shows produced by other countries on-line.

Another great source is my local library. More than 1000 DVD's + audio books. They've stocked several BBC series I requested like Poirot, Foyle's War, The Warricker Trilogy, and others. No charge to borrow any of these.

I love documentaries. I used to really like History and Discovery Channels. Then they became overrun with their versions of reality TV. It's not my thing. If I wanted educational TV I'd have to subscribe to the higher cost package of channels. So, I ditched it altogether (Dish). I have a TiVo OTA box to record the few network TV shows I follow and the rest of the stuff I watch is on Netflix or YouTube. As Jim stated, cable and satellite services are pricing themselves slowly out of business. The switch to digital broadcast was supposed to offer alternatives to having to pay for good reception. To an extent it has. Also, as previously stated, the changes I made do seem to result in spending less time watching TV and that is not a bad thing at all.

My wireless internet is almost twice my dish payment. And it's [censored] internet. I could get faster internet through dish but end up paying more and having data caps that I do not have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back