How many days have you been absent from work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was injured on vacation last weekend,so as a result,I've missed 5 days of work this week.
Before this happened,I had only missed 4 days.

I pride myself on not missing any days,but it seems life throws us curve-balls,and prevents this from happening.

Grand total = 9 days of work missed in a 2-year period of time.

not a single day in 3 years, but just before that I had a concussion (july 2013) and missed a few weeks. Accident on the job though.

I did miss 2 hours once to go to the doctor and pharmacy when I had an eye infection, but the cortisone prescibed by the doctor cleared my eyesight pretty much instantly

Excluding vacation, Once in the past 6 years due to a hugely nasty migraine. I tend to come to work sick unless its something badly contagious, but I am blessed with a strong immune system.

Let's see, I missed Dec 23-24, 2014 for a back injury.

I missed a day last July for my colonoscopy.

Other than that, I really haven't missed any work for illness or injury since 1994.

My job has unlimited vacation days taken at professional discretion. On the other hand, it's more a blend of home/work time. I took today off to go golfing but I have to do a little work right now to ensure our projects don't hit any snags. We are also told to stay home if we're sick so as not to infect the whole office. We also have liberal work from home policies.

Basically, ensure the work gets done. People that abuse the system are terminated.

You folks are too motivated. I earn 104 hours of paid sick leave annually, and probably use 40. The rest accrues as a balance in case I need to be out for a long time due to surgery or whatever.

I don't get paid for saved sick leave upon retirement, so that paid time off disappears if I don't use it.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
You folks are too motivated. I earn 104 hours of paid sick leave annually, and probably use 40. The rest accrues as a balance in case I need to be out for a long time due to surgery or whatever.

I don't get paid for saved sick leave upon retirement, so that paid time off disappears if I don't use it.

It's peace of mind knowing you have it if you need it.

Given that I can work from home if needed I would need to be down and out in bed sick before I did not work.

At IBM you were expected to work unless you were actually sick. So no actual sick days. But if you are never sick but then have a heart attack and are out for many weeks its OK. (Subject to change).

When I drove cab, which was over twenty years ago, if I was sick, I was still responsible to pay my parents for the lease of the taxi. So, I'd lose money if sick. Later on, I had virtually unlimited sick benefits, but stayed healthy. Now, in business for myself, there are really no days off, much less sick days off. Maybe if I get checked into the hospital.
wink.gif

But, I don't begrudge people from having sick benefits in the least. A friend of mine was fortunate to have sick leave. He recently beat cancer, and having decent sick benefits was a big help.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

It's peace of mind knowing you have it if you need it.

I get 160 hours as the base sick pay. Also have short and long term disability.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
My job has unlimited vacation days taken at professional discretion. On the other hand, it's more a blend of home/work time. I took today off to go golfing but I have to do a little work right now to ensure our projects don't hit any snags. We are also told to stay home if we're sick so as not to infect the whole office. We also have liberal work from home policies.

Basically, ensure the work gets done. People that abuse the system are terminated.

Wow. Care to share the industry/business you're in?

2 days to plan/bury mother, and 4 ours out of a day due to uncontrollable vomiting. Came back later that day to finish my shift. That's almost 7 years.

Last sick day was when I got Bell's Palsy in Feb 2014, and had a day carer's leave for one of the kids in August that year...got 439 sick days up my sleeve.

Current job (8 years) only missed 1 day, my dads funeral. I did go home one time (well, was sent home by my supervisor after I threw up and had a 101°F fever).
Previous job (4 years) missed none.
Job before that (8 years) missed 2 (food poisoning one time and don't remember what the other was).
Only time I have been late to work in the past 20 years was a few months ago when everywhere was flooded, was 30 minutes late and felt bad about it.
I have missed a few days due to workers comp injuries, longest was 3 shifts.

But when you have a job where if you don't show it really affects others (was a paramedic for 16 years, if I did not show, somebody did not get to go home that day and in the hospital if I left they were short a nurse and really caused problems). One day I want a job where if I don't show up, it makes no difference (but then maybe they will just let me go period).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back