Best battery for generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a wonderful used generator 2 years ago, battery age unknown. Went to test-run it today, and it is dead. Who manufactures and who sells (Sears, WallyWorld, Auto-whoever) the best battery in the 300+ CCA range. It's starting a 25 hp Kohler v-twin

My generator guy likes the Walmart brand. He said he has had the best luck with them. Mine is going on 2 years. I would look for one with the best warranty also.

our generac v-twin uses the same battery as my neon did., and the same oil filters as my buddies vibe.

so no different than choosing a car battery. my own self, i've had the best luck with east penn/Deka manufactured batteries.

FWIW I bought an AGM battery from Advance Auto in 2012 for my bike. It seems VERY intermittent use and has held up great. Stored in unregulated garage with no tender.

Get a boat battery box at Wal-Mart. Buy the $48 Wal-Mart car battery with top post of your choice. Buy the Battery tender battery maintainer while there. Wire it all up properly when you get back home, keep the battery on the maintainer, and it will be good to go for about 5-7 years or more before you have to replace the battery again.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Get a boat battery box at Wal-Mart. Buy the $48 Wal-Mart car battery with top post of your choice. Buy the Battery tender battery maintainer while there. Wire it all up properly when you get back home, keep the battery on the maintainer, and it will be good to go for about 5-7 years or more before you have to replace the battery again.

Great idea. I always just jump start the genny with my car. The small generator batteries never last long.

My 16kw Generac is 10 years old and is on its 3rd battery. The last one I installed was from Walmart, which I found to be far cheaper than NAPA, Advance, Autozone or Carquest. No worries with the Walmart one. It's not like it was going into a Porsche.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back