Completed Windows 10 Anniversary Update - 1607

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the negativity about Windows 10 and this new Anniversary Edition update( version 1607 )I thought I would make a post about the update process and results without all the Microsoft bashing and complaints. Just do the update, see what happens, and post if I was successful or not.

***I know I am most likely wasting my time typing/asking this but I am doing so anyway. PLEASE don't turn this into a bash thread on Microsoft or Windows 10. There are plenty of threads ongoing where you can complain if you want. This thread is hopefully for civil discussion on this specific update. Thank you in advance.***

I decided to update my desktop even though it is my main computer and problems created because of the update would really suck. No guts no glory though so I chose to update it before any other system.

My obvious first step was to make sure my system hadn't already been updated to version 1607 automatically. It was still in version 1511 as expected so I proceeded with manually performing the Anniversary Edition/1607 update( see steps below ). Everything went smoothly and the update was successfully completed in just under 1 hour from start to finish.

All programs and features from before are still working including StartMenu8 from Iobit( similar to Classic Shell ). There were 2 things I had to reset however. I had to go back through the list of things Microsoft uses to spy on you now and disable a bunch of them that were turned back on. I also had to reset the size of text in various things as they were reset back to default and I need them larger. Other than those two things it was just like any other update.

So I experienced no issues with the update. Will do my laptop another day.

If you want to do the update manually like I did you can use the steps below...

Note - to be safe save any photos, documents, etc... you don't want to lose and be sure you have a Windows 10 ISO for reinstallation just in case - this is basically an OS Upgrade.

I. - Check your version of Windows 10 and/or get the update manually via the following...

Check Current Windows 10 Version:
PC Settings >> System >> About

Manually upgrade to the Anniversary Edition/1607:
PC Settings >> Update & Security >> Latest Update Info - select/click Learn More

- OR -

Windows 10 Anniversary Edition Update Version 1607

II. - Click the Get Anniversary Update Now button on the Microsoft Support Page and then click Run

III. - Follow the steps given to perform the update

That is all there is to it. It took me 58 minutes to complete the update process. Note there are 2 stages to the update. One after starting the update manually where you can keep using your computer and then the 2nd stage takes place after restarting and is done with one of those blue screens with the spinning thingy you see with all updates as they are installed.

That 1st stage took 19 minutes and the second one( blue screen )39 minutes. The 2nd stage included 3 restarts as it went along. You are given the option to use Express Install or Custom at the end( use Custom to make sure a lot of the spy stuff is shut off )and also given the choice to use Cortana or not.

During the update process there will be times where it sits for very long periods of time on a certain % complete. Just be patient and it will eventually move on.

Hope this helps and please ask if you have any questions.

I completely removed a lot of the tiles, games,etc. and did away with Cortana. Will those tiles etc. be back? I see you can chose not to use Cortana

EG: I used this type of command to remove stuff, to remove people for example. I have a whole list of them. I'm not on a windows machine right now to walk through the exact process.

get-appxpackage *communicationsapps* | remove-appxpackage

The apps and tiles I removed pre-update, didn't come back when I installed my update.

If you want a little more control over privacy things with windows 10, you can get O&O Shutup10 free. It's worth it to get rid of some of the stuff not needed especially If you don't use it like camera log in, cortana, bio-metric features etc.

When I did the update it broke a few of my games and programs so instead of reinstalling them I just did a fresh install when the updated image came out on the MS DL Tool. My less than a year old fresh install of Win10 b1511 was getting kinda filthy from testing misc apps and such.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I completely removed a lot of the tiles, games,etc. and did away with Cortana. Will those tiles etc. be back? I see you can chose not to use Cortana

EG: I used this type of command to remove stuff, to remove people for example. I have a whole list of them. I'm not on a windows machine right now to walk through the exact process.

get-appxpackage *communicationsapps* | remove-appxpackage

I don't know what you removed and didn't? From what I see it did not reinstall features I had uninstalled.

Ours is currently updating. My wife was on the computer and got notice update would start in x minutes, no alternative, off we went. It was just at 20 some percent and is currently rebooting. We'll see how it goes.

Update on the update. Like the OP, it took about an hour, with multiple reboots. It seems to be running OK. It turned on Windows Defender because the Verizon McAfee antivirus was incompatible, but it also offered to update the McAfee antivirus, after updating the antivirus program we're back to normal.

Originally Posted By: JBinTX30
The apps and tiles I removed pre-update, didn't come back when I installed my update.

If you want a little more control over privacy things with windows 10, you can get O&O Shutup10 free. It's worth it to get rid of some of the stuff not needed especially If you don't use it like camera log in, cortana, bio-metric features etc.

One of these days I might try the update. I have an image of the OS which is working well at the moment, I can always revert back to it. The Shutup10 software looks like it might be helpful. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

- OR -

Windows 10 Anniversary Edition Update Version 1607

II. - Click the Get Anniversary Update Now button on the Microsoft Support Page and then click Run

III. - Follow the steps given to perform the update

That is all there is to it. It took me 58 minutes to complete the update process. Note there are 2 stages to the update. One after starting the update manually where you can keep using your computer and then the 2nd stage takes place after restarting and is done with one of those blue screens with the spinning thingy you see with all updates as they are installed.

That 1st stage took 19 minutes and the second one( blue screen )39 minutes. The 2nd stage included 3 restarts as it went along. You are given the option to use Express Install or Custom at the end( use Custom to make sure a lot of the spy stuff is shut off )and also given the choice to use Cortana or not.

During the update process there will be times where it sits for very long periods of time on a certain % complete. Just be patient and it will eventually move on.

Hope this helps and please ask if you have any questions.

I tried this method, it took about an hour, then on its final reboot it came up with something that said it was restoring the previous version of windows. So it took over an hour and I ended up exactly where I started. I tried it on an old machine running Win 10, it said the machine meet all the requirements. I thought I'd try since it's so hot outside and I had nothing better to do.

Was that old machine running a genuine copy of Windows 10? Not sure of any other reason why the Anniversary installment failed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Was that old machine running a genuine copy of Windows 10? Not sure of any other reason why the Anniversary installment failed.

I had the free upgrade to Win 10, which passed the validation process. The upgrade checked the system and it passed. Here's the message I got.

"Installation failed in the second boot error migrate data operation. Couldn't install Windows 10." There's very little on the web about this issue with regard to updating win 10 to Win 10 Anniversary edition. I'm sure someone else is going to encounter this issue.

I probably won't try it on one of my laptops until I can sort this issue out.

Try running the Anniversary Update again. Try this route.....

Click 'Settings'
Click 'Update and Security'
Click 'Learn More' (look for it at the bottom row of text there)

Last edited:
Try running the Anniversary Update again. Try this route.....

Click 'Settings'
Click 'Update and Security'
Click 'Learn More' (look for it at the bottom row of text there)

I tried that too no luck, thanks.

Thanks! For me it was easier to download and install from the support page. I have to use Windows 10 at work, so it is good to have one computer with Windows 10 at home.

I had the free upgrade to Win 10, which passed the validation process. The upgrade checked the system and it passed. Here's the message I got.

"Installation failed in the second boot error migrate data operation. Couldn't install Windows 10." There's very little on the web about this issue with regard to updating win 10 to Win 10 Anniversary edition. I'm sure someone else is going to encounter this issue.

Sorry you are having problems. I looked around and it looks like some anti virus programs cause issues with the update( Avast especially )and they need to be uninstalled prior to the update and then reinstalled. Disabling secure boot can also do it for some. Another possible cause is a damaged windows update file. There are a few other things that can be done to help for that specific error you posted too.

Here are some links that might help you...

http://www.intowindows.com/fix-we-couldnt-install-windows-10-0x8007002c-0x400d-error/

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...6b-56345fb3e798

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insid...82-b1201f735683

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insid...8b-c3d93eff65ee

http://boardreader.com/thread/Unable_to_...f241151b2e.html

FYI - "Installation failed in the second boot error migrate data operation. Couldn't install Windows 10." is error code 0x8007002C - 0x4000D

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Sorry you are having problems. I looked around and it looks like some anti virus programs cause issues with the update( Avast especially )and they need to be uninstalled prior to the update and then reinstalled. Disabling secure boot can also do it for some. Another possible cause is a damaged windows update file. There are a few other things that can be done to help for that specific error you posted too.

Here are some links that might help you...

http://www.intowindows.com/fix-we-couldnt-install-windows-10-0x8007002c-0x400d-error/

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...6b-56345fb3e798

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insid...82-b1201f735683

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insid...8b-c3d93eff65ee

http://boardreader.com/thread/Unable_to_...f241151b2e.html

FYI - "Installation failed in the second boot error migrate data operation. Couldn't install Windows 10." is error code 0x8007002C - 0x4000D

Thanks! I disabled Comodo AV to no avail, ran CCleaner prior to installation too. When I have more time I will read through the links and give it a try again. This was a test on an old machine so it was more of a learning experience than anything else. So no harm no foul. Thanks for the links!

I don't trust CCleaner. In it's default mode, it will delete the bad and unnecessary, but also delete some wanted files.

I used CCleaner after the upgrade failed twice. I'm certain CCleaner was not the problem.

You never used the default mode of CCleaner ''prior to the day'' you attempted the Anniversary Update?
So in reading your last post correctly, the first time-ever you used default-mode CCleaner was after the Anniversary Update?

Last edited:
You never used the default mode of CCleaner ''prior to the day'' you attempted the Anniversary Update?
So in reading your last post correctly, the first time-ever you used default-mode CCleaner was after the Anniversary Update?

It appears one of my posts was a bit confusing. After the update failed a few times on the machine in question I installed CCleaner and ran it hoping it might delete a temp file or something messing it up, then tried again. No luck.
What I might do is burn a DVD, wipe the HDD and try again, or leave well enough alone. This is an old machine I was experimenting with before I try it on anything good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back