2007 harley sportster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering what would be the best oil to run in these engines? It's a 1200xl model. My father owns it currently and he isn't very on time with maintenance so I'll be taking over that. But I'm unfamiliar with harley engines and what oil they like. I'm looking for the best options. Not worried too much about price. Thanks

Originally Posted By: rideahorse
I run a 15w-40 HDEO dino oil in my limited. It is even in the manual for use.

If I recall it is in the manual, but only for colder weather use below 40 degrees.

Here is the page from a Harley XL manual.

OilChart09Sportster_zpsf576b6b3.jpg

Last edited:
So 20w50 is Harleys preferred option in these but others could be used? I live in ny and the bike will be driven up until it's just too cold or snow flies

I have a 96 1200 Sportster . Low miles, maybe 20k. We just use 20w50 HD oil, always have, never a problem.

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
So 20w50 is Harleys preferred option in these but others could be used? I live in ny and the bike will be driven up until it's just too cold or snow flies

As the picture of the manual I posted, it can...but its temperature dependent. If you are going to be riding below 40 degrees Fahrenheit, you can use a 15w40 or 10w40. Over that, 20w50 covers all the bases. You can run straight 50 or 60 oil them....if it is hot enough.

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi

Yes 20w-50 is the preferred viscosity even running a diesel spec oil. It can be difficult to find 20w-50 diesel oil, most will be 15w-40 at discount stores.

Valvoline 20w-50 and Mobil 1 20w-50 Motorcycle oil can usually be found at Wally World. Both seem to give good UOA results in Harleys.

Another thing to keep in mind is riding when the air temp is less than 60 F. The drian intervals are reduced from 5000 miles to 1500 miles.

This is from a 2013 Sportster owners manual-

Change engine oil often in colder climates. If motorcycle is frequently used for trips less than 15 mi 24 km , in ambient temperatures below 60 °F 16 °C , reduce oil change intervals to 1500 mi 2400 km .

NOTE:
The further below freezing the temperature drops, the shorter the oil change interval should be.
Water vapor is a normal by-product of combustion in any engine. During cold weather operation, some water vapor condenses to liquid form on the cool metal surfaces inside the engine. In freezing weather this water will become slush or ice. Over time, accumulated slush or ice may block the oil lines and cause engine damage.
If the engine is run frequently and allowed to thoroughly warm up, most of this water will become vapor again and will be blown out through the crankcase breather.
If the engine is not run frequently and not allowed to thoroughly warm up, this water will accumulate, mix with the engine oil and form a sludge that is harmful to the engine.

I always used the Harley Syn3 20w50 in my 2005 Sportster. Did fine in both engine & trans. Mobil1 Vtwin 20w50 is good too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back