New .338 Lapua rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
So would I! I will see if I can find a junk one, thanks for the tip!
grin.gif

Forgot to post a pic of this at the range:

Hopefully will have a chance to have it out again soon.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Beautiful! What is the MOA elevation range of your scope?

Rail on the rifle is 30MOA, scope has 33MRAD, or 113MOA.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Beautiful! What is the MOA elevation range of your scope?

Rail on the rifle is 30MOA, scope has 33MRAD, or 113MOA.

Very nice! I'm assuming the 113 MOA is total, or 56.5 MOA either side of zero?

I generally punch paper, yes. But also shoot random junk like phones, hard drives, fire extinguishers, propane tanks.....etc. Whatever we have lying around.

I just saw this post. My wife's desktop has taken a dump after 9 years of daily use. So today we're going to pick her up a new one. That will leave me now with 3 trash desktop computers in the closet. My wife wants rid of them because they're taking up too much room. I don't want to take them to a recycler because of what's on the hard drives. Too much information. So I want to destroy them. I think the easiest and best way to go about this, is to take them out into the desert, (along with a couple of contractors trash bags to clean up the aftermath), and have at them with a 12 ga. and a few boxes of 000 Buck and some rifled slugs. Hard drives can be exceedingly tough to destroy. But I think a 12 bore would get the job done, and have some fun doing it as well. I'm just going to wait for it to cool off around here.

Back when I got my .50 BMG we went out into the desert with it. I had a full 20 pound propane tank I didn't need because we bought a new gas grill, and it came with a new one with quick disconnect fittings, not POL. So I set it out on a large rock about 200 yards away, and put a round of A.P.I.T. through it. I wished I had a smart phone at the time to video it. Flames shot out of that thing like a W.W. II flame thrower! I still have around 150 rounds of A.P.I.T. .50 BMG rounds. I'm saving them for shooting at reactive targets. They have zero problem punching straight through a 1", 320 Stainless Steel plate at 100 yards. What they don't punch through, they pretty much burn through.

The slugs work well on the hard drives, buck is hit or miss in my experience. It IS a lot of fun though!

Speaking from experience, most any rifle round in FMJ form will drill a clean hole through a hard drive.

Handguns are a mixed bag. Their ability to penetrate a hard drive fully is dependent somewhat on where you hit the drive and also how many platters it had. 45 Colt and 45 auto managed to bend a platter and land at an angle. 9mm went a couple of platters but didn't exit. 38 special did about the same as 45 Colt. The only consistent one I found that would penetrate completely was a "Elmer's load"-a 170gr true Keith type semiwadcutter over 12gr 2400 in 357 Magnum. 38 Super did fairly well also. 41 mag, 44 mag, 45 Win Mag, and "Ruger Only" 45 Colt were all(overall) probably more destructive but Keith 357 Magnum seemed to be the best balance of destruction and penetration.

I should say that of the above, the rifle rounds used(30-06 M2 Ball, 7.62x54R, 8mm Mauser) were all military surplus. All handgun ammo was handloaded with the exception of 9mm. The 9mm was a mix of 115gr WWB shot from a Hi Power and 147gr PPU shot from a Luger.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
Speaking from experience, most any rifle round in FMJ form will drill a clean hole through a hard drive.

Handguns are a mixed bag. Their ability to penetrate a hard drive fully is dependent somewhat on where you hit the drive and also how many platters it had. 45 Colt and 45 auto managed to bend a platter and land at an angle. 9mm went a couple of platters but didn't exit. 38 special did about the same as 45 Colt. The only consistent one I found that would penetrate completely was a "Elmer's load"-a 170gr true Keith type semiwadcutter over 12gr 2400 in 357 Magnum. 38 Super did fairly well also. 41 mag, 44 mag, 45 Win Mag, and "Ruger Only" 45 Colt were all(overall) probably more destructive but Keith 357 Magnum seemed to be the best balance of destruction and penetration.

I should say that of the above, the rifle rounds used(30-06 M2 Ball, 7.62x54R, 8mm Mauser) were all military surplus. All handgun ammo was handloaded with the exception of 9mm. The 9mm was a mix of 115gr WWB shot from a Hi Power and 147gr PPU shot from a Luger.

Yup, and the slugs go clean through as well:

The things are tough, that's for sure! What made the crater just to the right of the middle screw?

I think that was when I shot it with 00 Buck. It glanced off this drive and another. Left some big dents but no penetration.

The things are tough, that's for sure! What made the crater just to the right of the middle screw?

I think that was when I shot it with 00 Buck. It glanced off this drive and another. Left some big dents but no penetration.

Looks like I'll stick to slugs. I'll blow the casing apart with 000 Buck, then follow up with slugs on the hard drive.

00B isn't much of a penetrator of hard things. About 1 and 1.5 2x4 of pine, or a 1980's metal car-door, is enough to stop it, depending on distance. At 15 yards, 00B goes through said car doors, but backing up to 30-40, and it's iffy depending on the velocity and the pellet hardness/plating. Comparatively, they penetrate pretty well on soft-things, but the wound channels are very simple/minimal. It's a round .33 caliber projectile at under the speed of sound by the time it gets where it's doing. Think 9.18 MAK FMJ. But lump a few in together, and it's an owie!

Foster slugs at close range often frag or expand grossly. Brenneke's like to drill and expand a little bit, but not overly.

Shotguns are fun. Shooting stuff is fun!

Forgot to post a pic of this at the range:

Hopefully will have a chance to have it out again soon.

Nice setup!

I am still bitter that it takes 2 shots COM to kill people on Battlefield 4, XBOX 1, with the .338 Lapua, though! It's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back