Call Blocker For Landline

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can find one of these, I have used one for many years. With DIP switches, you can set a three digit number and unless the caller can enter it when prompted (within a certain time period), the call will not go thru and the phone will not ring. I keep my land line for emergencies and have given the code only to a select few.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tel-Mate-Telephone-Call-Screener-Model-909-/172232633773?hash=item2819dd6dad:g:yigAAOSw3ihXTJwN

Last edited:
I actually signed up with nomorobo yesterday. It isn't exactly what I want but if it stops most of the callers( with just one ring )I guess I can live with it. Being disabled with limited income these days I have to at least try it and see. So far it has stopped every call( not the ones I want to come through )with just one ring. So far so good.

Interesting side note is the how to info for my provider from nomorobo is out of date as my provider changed their website after the how to was made up. I figured out how to do it anyway then sent the updated info in to nomorobo. The founder of the service actually responded and thanked me and asked if I would take screenshots and such to add along with my "excellent information". I didn't even want to use the service and now I am writing their How To.
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
FYI - my landline is through the same company I get my internet and TV from so it is VOIP. I guess some have been confused as I mentioned having the same phone number since 1970. When I swapped all my service to the cable company years ago I was able to keep my existing phone number. I do not have a traditional landline. Nomorob will not work with a traditional landline. It requires a VOIP. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited:
How do you like nomorobo so far? I'd like to sign up my parents for the service but mom is a little skeptical. Is your phone service through Time Warner?

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I have looked around and surprisingly there really isn't a lot of reviews for these units like you generally find for electronics? Not on comparison sites and not a lot of customer reviews. Prices seem to run anywhere from $40-$100+. That is a lot of money if the item doesn't work well and doesn't last.

You're insisting on living with a technology that is antiquated-your choices and support are limited. You're also limiting yourself to a carrier that doesn't have much in the way of tools that help. You can't expect companies to build accessories for a limited, shrinking market-the focus is on cellular and VoIP technology.

No one will require you to move into the modern world, but if you insist on staying with a carrier that doesn't have the features you want and landline technology that can't support further innovation and development, then you'll have to live with the ramifications of your choices.

That's city boy talk. There are plenty of areas in my county alone where there is no signal. And then the VOIP. Every time I have tried it, and the internet or power goes out I don't have phone service. When the power or internet goes out, I still have phone service with my antiquated landline.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
How do you like nomorobo so far? I'd like to sign up my parents for the service but mom is a little skeptical. Is your phone service through Time Warner?

Not OP, but after reading this thread, I myself signed up with nomorobo last week. I used to get 2-3 sales calls a day. Since I signed up, I havent gotten a single one. The phone doesnt event make a single ring.

FYI, i have ATT uverse (voip).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Not OP, but after reading this thread, I myself signed up with nomorobo last week. I used to get 2-3 sales calls a day. Since I signed up, I havent gotten a single one. The phone doesnt event make a single ring.

FYI, i have ATT uverse (voip).

That's a little odd-because Nomorobo states it needs one ring to detect the call. I have installed it as well since reading this thread-got a single ring this morning...(saw on my television screen it was a robo call-a feature I have from my cable company) and then Nomorobo picked up the call.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
That's a little odd-because Nomorobo states it needs one ring to detect the call.

Yes, I agree that it's odd. I don't know how to verify that it has actually blocked some robo calls.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I have looked around and surprisingly there really isn't a lot of reviews for these units like you generally find for electronics? Not on comparison sites and not a lot of customer reviews. Prices seem to run anywhere from $40-$100+. That is a lot of money if the item doesn't work well and doesn't last.

You're insisting on living with a technology that is antiquated-your choices and support are limited. You're also limiting yourself to a carrier that doesn't have much in the way of tools that help. You can't expect companies to build accessories for a limited, shrinking market-the focus is on cellular and VoIP technology.

No one will require you to move into the modern world, but if you insist on staying with a carrier that doesn't have the features you want and landline technology that can't support further innovation and development, then you'll have to live with the ramifications of your choices.

That's city boy talk. There are plenty of areas in my county alone where there is no signal. And then the VOIP. Every time I have tried it, and the internet or power goes out I don't have phone service. When the power or internet goes out, I still have phone service with my antiquated landline.

BigD1;

Just ignore Pop_Rivit like most of here do. Just a bitter and angry poster on every subject which is why he is on the ignore list for me. I didn't even have to open his post to know he was being negative and insulting. Only know what he said because of your quote of his post.

You are right in your post that some folks actually need a landline or they are the only viable option in that area. Has nothing to do with limiting technology or myself based on provider. I have a cell as well and my provider has been reliable and good to me( service wise ). They may only offer 25 blocked numbers but at least they offer that. Some don't offer any such option.

I have a landline because I NEED one here at the house. Has nothing to do with being against technology. We have good cell reception here in town but for some reason my house is in a little black hole if you will. There is no signal at all when I am inside and I have to basically go out and walk over to the neighbors yard to get any signal. Having a cell only is just foolish here.

I took care of my elderly Dad for a lot of years until he passed in 2014 and needed a reliable phone at the house for 911 medical calls. l am disabled now myself due to MS and must have a reliable phone at the house for 911 medical calls too. Only having a cell would be dangerous for me. So, I keep the landline.

My landline is part of my cable service bundle( TV/Phone/Internet )so I am certainly not a technophobe. The phone runs through my cable modem which has a good battery backup in it so that it stays working during power outages and thus my phone works even if everything else is out. The only time I have lost the landline completely since swapping to it being part of my cable bundle was when the cable company had equipment failure locally and we lost everything for a day+. Other than that it has been very reliable.

No, I have a different cable company.

So far so good. I have not had one undesirable call get through. Just one ring and then it gets cut off. I wish it didn't even ring once but it is better than constant ring...ring...ring...and on and on with calls I know I don't want to answer.

Also, it has let the automated calls I DO want through such as the company that I get my MS med's through, my doctors office with an appointment reminder, the local dealership calling with a service discount offer, etc...

So far it has exceeded my expectations. Glad I held off and tried it before buying a blocker. If it stays working this well it will be great.

Originally Posted By: CKN
That's a little odd-because Nomorobo states it needs one ring to detect the call.

Yes, I agree that it's odd. I don't know how to verify that it has actually blocked some robo calls.

They don't have any feature to let you know how many they blocked right now but the site FAQ says that is a feature they are working on and that is coming soon. I would assume when it is ready they will put it on your dashboard.

Does your phone have caller ID? If so look and see if you see any of those suspicious numbers in the history after you signed up. If so maybe you just missed the call. If not then NMR is either blocking it faster than the call comes through or they just aren't calling now?

I am not getting as many calls as I was before signing up. It is definitely down BUT I still get the one ring. Their site FAQ says they answer those calls and play a message stating the call has been blocked. Perhaps that causes some of these companies to take that name off their call list???

Does your phone have caller ID? If so look and see if you see any of those suspicious numbers in the history after you signed up. If so maybe you just missed the call.

I just looked. I have one call from "directory assistance" that shows in my phone's history from this morning. Yet, it's not showing that I had any missed calls and I know the phone has not rang even once. Weird. It seems to be blocking them without even ringing once.

Does your phone have caller ID? If so look and see if you see any of those suspicious numbers in the history after you signed up. If so maybe you just missed the call.

I just looked. I have one call from "directory assistance" that shows in my phone's history from this morning. Yet, it's not showing that I had any missed calls and I know the phone has not rang even once. Weird. It seems to be blocking them without even ringing once.

Must be a time overlap thing with your service and NMR.

It blocked 2 more for me last night and both rang once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back