no oil changes on B&S

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am beginning to see Briggs and Stratton Enginges that recommend that the oil never needs to be changed. They claim the engines are sealed better to keep contaminants out and that it runs cooler.

This doesn't seem like a good idea to me...

So it will last 12 years without an oil change.....I wonder how long it would last if the oil was changed annually?

I'm with you, I'd still change it even if I bought one of those Briggs. $1 in oil a year is worth a lot more in peace of mind, to me anyways. But how many people never change their mower oil and get a good service life out of it? Quite a few. Plus I like to maintain things and don't like abusing things.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pbm
So it will last 12 years without an oil change.....I wonder how long it would last if the oil was changed annually?

According to the marketing manager...it could last 12 years.

Could

18.gif

Search before you post...

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
What if 12 years isn't long enough?

Then throw it away and buy another one! It's the Amarketing way.

Originally Posted By: TmanP
I'm with you, I'd still change it even if I bought one of those Briggs. $1 in oil a year is worth a lot more in peace of mind, to me anyways. But how many people never change their mower oil and get a good service life out of it? Quite a few. Plus I like to maintain things and don't like abusing things.

+1

A marketing ploy to cater to the younger generation who have not and do not desire to get their hands dirty. You don't see B&S extending the warranty on these "improved" engines either.

Originally Posted By: John_K
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
What if 12 years isn't long enough?

Then throw it away and buy another one! It's the Amarketing way.

Uh most of the owners are idiots are probably break it in another way.. My neighbor example. Bought a new mower and didn't last 2 years. It's setting dead on the side of the house and they want me to look at... holding off and probably won't. I've been using the same mower for 5 and the previous for over 16 years and still have it!

Originally Posted By: GMorg
They claim the engines are sealed better to keep contaminants out and that it runs cooler.

This doesn't seem like a good idea to me...

If they only devoted that much "attention" to their fuelling systems. That's the weak link.

As long as there's a readily accessible fill hole and drain plug and you can ignore the "recommendation", let B&S say what they want. That said, probably a good idea for many mower owners who never do any maintenance on the engine anyway. In other words, non bitog types.

That is unlike the ride on mower hydrostatic transmissions with "lifetime" fluid and no readily accessible fill and drain holes. Owning one like that, I greatly dislike that idea.

I recently bought one of these, I filled it with the 15 ounces of oil that came with it and proceeded to mow until it ran out of gas. I then took out the dipstick and tipped it over to drain, and the drained oil had shiny little bits of metal and looked like burnt coffee. I replaced it with rotella HD 30 and will run it until the fall and then change it again. I'm curious to see how long this gem lasts.

I have an old Gibson tiller that has a vertical shaft B&S 5 HP engine on it from 1972. This thing is used twice a year and has never failed to start. It has a foam air filter that I clean every few years and the oil get changed about that frequently if I think about it. I always check the oil before each use.

I don't have much faith that the newer models would provide this type of service life. Times and priorities have changed.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
A marketing ploy to cater to the younger generation who have not and do not desire to get their hands dirty. You don't see B&S extending the warranty on these "improved" engines either.

Not everyone is obsessed with changing oil or burning fuel. Also many young people have less possessions than previous generations. Smaller homes, smaller lawns and smaller cars. I have switched an electric lawn mower because it makes no sense to maintain a gas mower for the tiny lawn/property you get these days for astronomical amounts.

Your post probably hits on why they don't want people draining oil in these. Mine is the same design, but no admonition against changing oil. Perhaps they decided that most people aren't to be trusted turning a mower upside down to change oil.
wink.gif

THe deck will rust out before the owner gets tired of the blue smoke screen. My Honda 216 is going on 20 years without a problem.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Your post probably hits on why they don't want people draining oil in these. Mine is the same design, but no admonition against changing oil. Perhaps they decided that most people aren't to be trusted turning a mower upside down to change oil.
wink.gif

With an oil suction pump you eliminate that part of the equation
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back