How Long Do Electric Batteries Really Last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
231k is not a lot, but at $2.50 a gallon avg my RX comes in 7k less in fuel vs the gas model. So the battery replacement is not a big deal.

Toyota uses NiMH(Nickel Metal Hydride) battery but others use Li-on in their plug-in hybrid and pure EV. The life expectancy of the two are not the same.

Plus I would think that battery prices should come down in time???
Anyway that is what I have been told.....
If gas goes back to $4 plus- it then becomes not so bad.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
231k is not a lot, but at $2.50 a gallon avg my RX comes in 7k less in fuel vs the gas model. So the battery replacement is not a big deal.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I thought the Fusion batteries lasted 500K miles in taxi duty in NYC?
And still were ok?

Those miles are accumulated quickly though.

Temperature swings and big changes in usage such as typical non-taxi use is going to shorten the life of batteries more than steady usage I'd think.

Just wait until the smart grid proponents get their tentacles into your battery's cycle life.

I asked one "expert" on Linkedin
a) how much they were prepared to pay per KWh for simply the energy withdrawn in peak shaving; and
b) how much they were prepared to pay the vehicle owner for the reduction in life of the batteries.

If you look at the levelised cost of grid scale storage, the EV owner SHOULD be given 30-50c/KWh whenever they draw off your batteries.

They aren't prepared to pay anything like that...they reckon free charging meens free taking...and to the vehicle owner, it's not free.

Battery life is based on: the chemistry of the battery, time, temperature, the number of cycles, the number of deep cycles, how fast it is charged, and how fast it is discharged.

You can not base battery life on only one thing. As an example, if a battery last 300,000 miles in a New York taxi but that is only over 5 years, you can not expect the battery in that same model of vehicle to last 300,000 miles if it is only driven 10,000 miles per year.

BTW, with hybrids achieving savings is all about: how many miles you drive each year, the number of gallons of fuel you save multiplied by the price of that fuel, the extra cost of the hybrid system, the number of years you plan to keep the vehicle, and the replacement cost of the hybrid battery if you keep the vehicle too long.

The number of miles you drive each year is one of the biggest influences on how much you save or do not save.

Check out "fueleconomy.gov" click on "advanced cars & fuels" click on "can a hybrid can save me money" click on "select a hybrid" at the bottom of the list click on "View All (table)" and check out the comparison of hybrids vs their conventional counterparts paying attention to the "years to payback" on the right side. Then do some searches on the cost to replace the battery and the life expectancy.

The bottom line is that if you drive a really high number of miles each year a hybrid can be a great deal, but if you do not drive a high number of miles each year a hybrid can be a money pit.

Last edited:
BTW on the fueleconomy.gov site the years to payback is based on driving 15,000 miles per year. You can figure out how many miles you have to drive to pay for the extra cost of the hybrid by multiplying the "years to payback" number by 15,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back