BMW i3 Update and Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Y_K
Delightfully old-fashioned. Most interesting part is their plans to increase energy density 5 to 15 x in 4-5 years. Samsung battery cells.

No, this isn't correct. There is no proven marketable battery with 5-15 times energy density of Li-on battery. There are many lab work on next generation batteries, but none is ready for mass production as of now.

Quote:
The problems in that vision are of BMW's making, as the company says it can double battery capacity again by 2020 (conveniently forgetting its on-going lithium-air research with Toyota, which could provide between five and 15 times the energy density of lithium-ion and approach that of gasoline).

Quote:
The lithium-air battery, Li-air for short, is a metal-air battery chemistry that uses oxidation of lithium at the anode and reduction of oxygen at the cathode to induce a current flow.[1]

Originally proposed in the 1970s as a possible power source for battery electric vehicles, Li-air batteries recaptured scientific interest in the late 2000s due to advances in materials technology and an increasing demand for renewable energy sources.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium%E2%80%93air_battery

It had been 4 decades and still not be able to market it, how can you think it will be available in 4-5 years ?

Quote:
This is a striking vehicle, if not a beautiful one.

It is more like an ugliest vehicle on the road the last 50 years.

BMW-i3-side-large_trans++ZgEkZX3M936N5BQK4Va8RUbgHFEZVI1Pljic_pW9c90.jpg

BMW-i3-rear-large_trans++igD1FP7dh-IbmJ01imzv7EYMapKPjdhyLnv9ax6_too.jpg

How many 2016 i3 sold in America year to date(7 months) ? It's MSRP is less than half the average selling price of Tesla model S but sold less than 1/3 (4,359 i3 vs 14,240 model S)

If i3 has the styling of the 3-series it will sell a lot more than 1,000 cars a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back