Castrol or Motul? - VW TSI 2.0 APR Stage 1+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys.
Sorry, maybe my question was already answered in another topic, but I could not find it.
I started to use my GTI with Castrol 5w-540 Edge FST, but after a repro with APR to Stage 1+, some people recommend Motul 5w-40 8100 X-cess or Motul Specific.
I'm confused and don't want to damage the engine.
Could you please give me a hand?

The Best!
PS: Congratulations for this forum. It's a pleasure always talking respectfully about each other.

We aren't impressed with Castrol 5W40 here on this website. I'd use Motul 8100 X-cess myself.
I own a 2013 GTI with the 2.0 TSI. How do you like your APR tune?

Usa el que cueste menosde los dos, che
laugh.gif

So far, no issues. It's awesome the extra power that APR has achieved flashing ECU and TCU + adding an APR Carbonio intake. The best is that the car drives fast when you want it, but still is so comfortable, smooth as you know from stock.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
We aren't impressed with Castrol 5W40 here on this website. I'd use Motul 8100 X-cess myself.

So far, no issues. It's awesome the extra power that APR has achieved flashing ECU and TCU + adding an APR Carbonio intake. The best is that the car drives fast when you want it, but still is so comfortable, smooth as you know from stock.

i don't buy anything castrol blends as they are the reason for the confusing + misleading "synthetic" oil debacle allowing refined CRUDE group III oils legally labeled + sold as "synthetic" but they originally sold syntec illegally as "synthetic" before the law change in 1999!!

Originally Posted By: benjy
i don't buy anything castrol blends as they are the reason for the confusing + misleading "synthetic" oil debacle allowing refined CRUDE group III oils legally labeled + sold as "synthetic" but they originally sold syntec illegally as "synthetic" before the law change in 1999!!

Once you get over this personal issue, how about turning focus to actual oil performance?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Once you get over this personal issue, how about turning focus to actual oil performance?
smile.gif

You can't senselessly rant as much about that.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

That is different Castrol. Castrol 5W40 FST meets BMW LL-04, MB 229.51 etc. Only we in the U.S. have a privilege to use [censored] Castrol 5W40. That confirms my opinion that you can sell ANYTHING to people here (which tells a lot about these elections too). As long as you make it look good, it is going to sell.
To OP, you can use that Castrol with no problems! Considering it is TSI, it might do better when it comes to CBU.
If you can find Castrol 0W40 that might be better, but this FST 5W40 will do good.

...but they originally sold syntec illegally as "synthetic" before the law change in 1999!!

It's always bugged me, too, but what law were they actually breaking?

Hi. I have a 3.0T engine in an Audi A6 that has stage 2+ APR Tune and other goodies to the tune of 500 hp to the wheels. I have only used either Royal Purple 5w40 or RP HPS 5w30 with no issues at all. I'm pretty sure Motul 5w40 X-cess 8100 would also do just fine.fine.

Originally Posted By: MaxRider
Hi guys.
Sorry, maybe my question was already answered in another topic, but I could not find it.
I started to use my GTI with Castrol 5w-540 Edge FST, but after a repro with APR to Stage 1+, some people recommend Motul 5w-40 8100 X-cess or Motul Specific.
I'm confused and don't want to damage the engine.
Could you please give me a hand?

The Best!
PS: Congratulations for this forum. It's a pleasure always talking respectfully about each other.

I have your identical car with your identical mods. I have been running Castrol 0W-40 ever since the first oil change and have had excellent results. Others have done the same. I wouldn't hesitate to run M1 0W-40 in it either. As others have alluded to, here in the USA our Castrol 5W-40 is not a good oil, hence my use of Castrol 0W-40. I am sure Motul would be fine as well although here it is significantly more expensive and IMO, not worth the extra cost in this application. However, should you use it, it will likely do well for you, same as a quality Castrol formula.

Originally Posted By: Garak
...but they originally sold syntec illegally as "synthetic" before the law change in 1999!!

It's always bugged me, too, but what law were they actually breaking?

The law of being too cheeky!
grin2.gif

Garrick is hinting at this, but nobody took the bait.
Trolling.gif

The Myth of the Mobil 1 v Castrol lawsuit.

Last edited:
While my GLI is still under stock ECM programming, I've been running Motul 8100 x-clean 5w40 and now running the 5w30 version with good results. My car has just over 43k miles and has had 0 oil consumption issues and has been running well.

Out here in AZ most Audi, BMW,and Benz guys run Mobil 0-40 for daily driving, and 10w60 if your run road courses, or drag the car. That's a sweet tune for that car...

I'm also running Castrol 0w40 edge in street use cars, and both the specs, the UOA results, and the clinical results are just fine - indistinguishable from oils that people buy due to limited distribution, the method they use to achieve base stock, etc.

I would guess that by far the most important two things are to :

1. ensure your oil is not diluted or acid
2. don't leave it sol long it will sludge
3. use an oil appropriate to your work environment - e.g.: track use means thicker oil; occasionally cold use means thinner oil. Remember that the actual performance of the oil depends on its working temperature and where on the viscosity curve that places it.

An APR tune means little, except that you will have some extra performance and therefore potentially, heat. But if you dont use that extra power for extended periods (e.g.: flat to floor for 30 seconds on the track), who cars? Its wont get all that hot.

Just Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back