PEAK 5W40 Heavy Duty Engine Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised they'd be advocating a relatively high ash A3/B4 for such a new diesel. I don't think I've ever seen that, at least not recently. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but the SA limits are different enough. I'm sure an A3/B4 would do fine. Up here, though, given the discount on HDEOs, it might not be very cost effective. I'd have to look, but I'm pretty sure the EcoBox of Rotella 5w-40 is significantly cheaper than the EcoBox of Pennzoil Euro 5w-40.

Yes, the A3/B4 in there is very puzzling to me. Kind of a "one of these things is not like the other" Sesame Street script. It is only in the one place, so I do wonder if it is a mistake. However, it may just be to streamline what oils the dealers must carry. I've read the SRT cars use the Pennz Euro 5W40. I still think it a strange thing.

I'm sure the A3/B4 would work in the application, it just seems odd. After all, SA was cut for HDEOs with some purpose in mind, and it's not like even a CI-4 oil would blow the engine up, particularly if A3/B4 is acceptable.
wink.gif

Well, with a DPF, DOC/CAT, I think I'll stick with Delvac 1 ESP 5W40 for a while.

What is the SA % of A3/B4?

over 0.8%

I chose to use an A3/B4 oil over a C3 oil in my diesel, but I did choose one with reduced ash content. 0.88% iirc. By allowing some more ash, I get a significantly higher TBN though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pb379
Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
If it carries the CJ-4 spec then its good, its that simple.

No, it isn't that simple
smile.gif

It's as good as Super Tech, Lubrigold, PB Pro Line, or any of the other CJ-4 HDEOs that Warren blends. Now if you ask if it is as good as Delvac 1300, Delo 400, or Rotella T 15W40, I would have to say...probably not-but it's not likely to hurt anything when run for a reasonable OCI.

Originally Posted By: pb379
So .8% minimum? Is there a maximum?

SA for A3B4 is a minimum of 1.0% and a maximum of 1.6%.
C3 has a maximum of 0.8% SA though.

Originally Posted By: claluja
Meets Ford's new F spec for diesels. Anyone see this oil in Wal-Mart, AZ, etc.?
I have not seen it around in the Houston area at the usual suspects (WM, AAP, AZ, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back