Do the BF Goodrich tires crack just like Michelins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
All tires crack as the age.

I'm specifically referring to the mostly cosmetic, but unsightly small ones Michelins are famous for, even when not very old.

I have some bf Goodrich touring t/a 's from sams club that have some light sidewall cracking. They're 4 or 5 yrs old, but only maybe 20k miles.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
All tires crack as the age.

I'm specifically referring to the mostly cosmetic, but unsightly small ones Michelins are famous for, even when not very old.

All three of my vehicles have Michelin tires. The tires on the pickup are around 4 years old, the tires on the STS are about 3 years old, and the tires on the Durango are about 4 months old. None have the "unsightly small" cracks that you claim they are famous for.

When should I expect them to develop these "unsightly small" cracks that you, in your expertise or lack thereof, claim they are famous for?

2012 Equinox, 4yrs-5mos old, 31,000 miles. Sidewalls, inside/outside, in between the treads, cracking. Tires were noisy as heck. It sits under a carport, the sun only hits the east side passenger tires for about 1hr a day. Dealer and Michelin said "no" warranty. My tire guy said he does not recommend them anymore because of the cracking complaints. Have Yokohama Avid Ascend's on it now. Glad some people have good luck with Michelin's, not me.

I bet these cracks are from age as well as frequency of use. Something tells me if you put very few miles on them they would be more likely to crack as the rubber might be more prone to dry rot?
If it gets these cracks it means its time to buy new tires.
smile.gif

If you live in Arizona-they crack. There have been several reports on this forum from those in the Sunbelt reporting cracking. Then there are those on this forum who will defend Michelin tires to the ends of the Earth-----as they would their child or wife.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I bet these cracks are from age as well as frequency of use. Something tells me if you put very few miles on them they would be more likely to crack as the rubber might be more prone to dry rot?
If it gets these cracks it means its time to buy new tires.
smile.gif

The point being there are other brands of tires that don't crack-even if they are used infrequently.

Yes, they do crack, well at least the touring models in SoCal conditions.
My Maxima had BFG Touring T/A that were 10 year old and had cracks, even a few bigger ones on the thread, however they held together, unlike Fisks half their age which in 4 years of use developed tread separation.
The Corolla has BFG Premier touring T/A that were made and mounted in 2009. The tires have microcracks in the sidewall and the transition area, but have held up great otherwise. They have over 105k miles but they have very little tread left, well past the point of recommended replacement.
I've also had 2 BFG Touring on a Camry, used for about 2 years before I sold the car.
IMO the BFG touring tires are loud, hard, have little grip in any conditions, develop microcracks, but they do last, and don't develop structural flaws.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
If you live in Arizona-they crack. There have been several reports on this forum from those in the Sunbelt reporting cracking. Then there are those on this forum who will defend Michelin tires to the ends of the Earth-----as they would their child or wife.
x1000

They don't crack like Michelins, CapriRacer on here said they are made of a different compound. They just have the same parent company or something, but the makeup of the tire is different.

I put Michelins once in one of the bimmers.
While mine didnt crack at all, the thread patterns were all torn up with less than 10k miles on them. Worst tires ever!
They looked as if someone was ripping the threads off.

My 2011 F250 came on michelins from the factory. I ran across a thread where another owner was complaining about his tires cracking around the bead area. I didn't notice before but mine were doing the same thing at 1 year/ 15k miles. I watched them to see if the issue was getting worse till 41k when I bought the BFG KO2'S in 11/2014. The cracking has not appeared on them in 21k miles.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I have Michelins on more than 20 vehicles. No cracking, new or old. What's this then?

Same here, dozens of sets and zero issues.

Just put some new Defender LTX M/S on a van yesterday. Should I be skeered?

My one experience with BFG tires was the OE ones on a 2005 Mercury Mountaineer, and yes they had the same small superficial cracks that you are asking about. They started at about the 2 year/30k mile mark, but had zero effect on performance. Those BFG tires were some of the best SUV tires I had ever had, especially in the snow.

I just tried not to focus on the cracking and remind myself that they gave great performance for 60k miles in WI.

The only tires that developed any cracks were a set of BFG Long Tour TA's. The cracks were deep ones in between the treads. Other than that they were good tires. Cracking developed after 5 years. I replaced them at 6 years. I've been driving for over 40 years in NJ, a temperate climate, so I've seen a "few" sets of tires
grin.gif
. I replaced them with Cooper's.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back