2009 Toyota Tacoma WS Factory Fill UOA 40,940 mil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Factory fill of Toyota WS fluid from my Tacoma taken at 40,940 miles. I did a pan drop in association with this sample and replaced the filter assy. which is just a glorified fine mesh screen, not a fiber/barrier type element. I also did the cooler line exchange method after reassembly. I don't have and can't seem to find a VOA out there for Toyota WS fluid for comparison; if anyone has one I sure would like to compare this sample against it. Now that I am out of warranty, I did a drain, fill, cooler line exchange with Amsoil Signature Series Fuel Efficient Fluid so we'll see how it does over the next couple of years and I'll check it with a sample.

Very interesting! Looks like it sheared out of grade...

What sort of use has the truck seen? Any towing? 4 wheeling?

I will call it normal service, I didn't haul anything heavier than a few small tree branches or tow anything but did do quite a bit of highway driving. No off road abuse or mistreatment. I did have the Toyota TSB transmission reflash done at just under 20K miles if my memory serves me. I can say that once the factory fill was out of there and fresh fluid in, the tranny behaved so much better. I know Toyota calls this a lifetime fluid and many folks are running it out to some really high miles, but not me. I'm glad I got it out of there since I held on to the truck.

Wow, I didnt realize Toyota has lifetime ATF. If I owned a Toyota that called for that, it would be changed every 40k to 45k. I dont believe for a second that ATF can last 200K+.

Had you considered other fluid before switching to Amsoil? I'm in the same situation and saw on a MaxLife bottle that it is Toyota WS compatible.

I did try Redline D4 for a little while but the trans didn't feel quite right with it. Maybe it was software related with the reflash that Toyota did early on. D4 was recommended to me by Dave at Redline over their D6 but it seemed thicker and changed the shift characteristics more than I really liked. D4 is a great fluid and I use it in my '86 Cutlass but I dropped it out of the Tacoma and used WS until I swapped to Amsoil. I'm long out of warranty now so we'll see how the trans ages.

Originally Posted By: 86cutlass307
I did try Redline D4 for a little while but the trans didn't feel quite right with it. Maybe it was software related with the reflash that Toyota did early on. D4 was recommended to me by Dave at Redline over their D6 but it seemed thicker and changed the shift characteristics more than I really liked. D4 is a great fluid and I use it in my '86 Cutlass but I dropped it out of the Tacoma and used WS until I swapped to Amsoil. I'm long out of warranty now so we'll see how the trans ages.

I'm surprised that Dave from Redline recommended D4 when D6 is their recommended replacement for WS?

I think that Amsoil SS is a great fluid but I think Maxlife would probably work just as well for 40-50K at less cost.

This isn't the first oil change no, the wear metals are low. what are the total miles on the trans.

This sample is from the factory fill. Unless during the TSB trans reflash the dealer did a drain and fill service (wasn't documented). This particular dealer is on thei 3rd name change since my vehicle purchase. I have my doubts on that service because when I drained, dropped the pan, R2 the filter, there was a black greasy clutch wear coating I wiped off the pan surface and on the filter metal. Nothing out of the ordinary though for break-in wear. See the pic below where I wiped my finger on the filter. After measuring what I took out and then pumped out/reserviced, the tranny was 1/2 qt. or a little more underserviced; which seems to be a common theme over the last several years of this model (at least from reading through threads over at Tacoma World). I have not done another ATF analysis on this vehicle since, but I plan on one towards the end of 2017. Currently, this truck has 79,844 miles and the Amsoil has about 9,000 or so on it now and all is well. Trans seems happy.

Originally Posted By: 86cutlass307
I don't have and can't seem to find a VOA out there for Toyota WS fluid for comparison; if anyone has one I sure would like to compare this sample against it.

My records show VOA for Toyota WS is 5.3 cSt @ 100C. You have not sheared.

I just did a transmission filter, fluid and gasket change on my 2008 Tacoma Prerunner with 148k miles. First time since new. The fluid wasn't that bad. Cleaned the pan thoroughly. I used the Toyota WS fluid because that's what's recommended. It's really not that pricey for 5 quarts that I put back in the system. Both the WS and the ATF IV are synthetic fluids according to the dealer but just don't mix they say

I performed a simple drain and refill of the WS ATF yearly on my Corolla before I sold it to my son...it has 430,000km (269,000 miles) on it now and it still shifts like new, the fluid is still bright red each year. He will continue to do the maintenance at the same intervals until the end of the world.

When I first got the car someone did a UOA on the WS ATF and the results were that after 25,000 miles the additives were largely spent. So I determined to change it out yearly so that the additives were always fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back