Tires like new but 10-20 years old. Replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1997 GMC Sierra that has Yokohama Geolanders that will be 10 Years old this year. This truck only sees 800-1200 miles a year and is garage kept and never sits outside. It also has its original(nearly 20 years old) full size Wrangler spare that has never been used and holds 40PSI pressure all year. All the tires look new and have no signs of cracking, deterioration or wear. I know tire places and manufactures say to replace tires at 10 years regardless of mileage.
I'd like to know what you guys think about this and if I should replace all the tires including the spare. Seems like such a waste but safety comes first. I have never had a tire fail/blowout and never want to experience one! On the other had I don't want to spend money needlessly and replace like new tires. Here is the truck:

At 10+ years old, the manufacturers would state the tires are past their safe lifespan. If you never haul anything heavy, nor drive anywhere at highway speeds, you would PROBABLY be OK. My MIL had 20 y/o Daytons on her Buick, they had cracks everywhere-but she never had a blowout (never went over 35 MPH).

Do a few burn outs, that'll exfoliate the dry, old rubber.
If the tires hold up (no vibration, bulges etc) drive on.
19.gif

Looking at them, I'd probably leave them if I didn't have any plans for any long trips.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
At 10+ years old, the manufacturers would state the tires are past their safe lifespan. If you never haul anything heavy, nor drive anywhere at highway speeds, you would PROBABLY be OK. My MIL had 20 y/o Daytons on her Buick, they had cracks everywhere-but she never had a blowout (never went over 35 MPH).

Once a year I help my dad get wood pellets. I have over 2000lbs in the bed and the truck handles it fine, not even close to bottoming out. Tires aired up and seem fine.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Wow, they really look like Nu. Finish them off asap.

*****!!!! NuFinish and tires don't mix! Hahahaha!

So would everyone agree the unused, new condition 20 year old spare absolutely need to be replaced? It shows no signs of deterioration and has always been kept indoors with the truck.

The Geolanders were made in 2007 so I'll use them for another year and replace next summer.

Last edited:
I'd agree that if you just drive around town at under 45-50 mph they should give you warning of any impending issue. Still, at highway speeds it's pot luck, and they could go at any time, without warning. When I bought my 1999 SS it had 13 yr old tires with 12K miles. They looked great inside and out, no cracking, 50% tread left. I drove them like that for another 2 years but stayed off the highway. I finally decided I wanted full freedom and replaced them at 16K miles. I have no doubts they would have lasted up years longer. Had I been involved in an accident, I didn't want to have to prove to anyone that my 16 year old tires played no role. I've read plenty of stories on people who drove their tires to the 15-30 yr point until they started rumbling or literally just fell apart. Tire mfg's don't want to recommend using anything more than 6 yrs old. They do want to sell you new tires.

Technically, there's no way to tell what's going on in the core of the tire w/o ripping it apart. If grandpa or grandma drove the truck for the previous 10 years there's a better chance they have sustained no series blows that could shorten their life.

Time for all 5 new tires. Not worth having a blowout and possibly messing up that nice truck.

My grandparent's Trailblazer had the original unused spare on it, at 14-1/2 years old (a few months ago) I had it replaced with a new tire. Then a couple weeks ago they had a flat in a doctors office parking lot. I definitely would not have trusted that old tire driving on the freeway across town in 112 degree heat that day.

I'm old enough to have had tires back in the day actually blow-out at speed.
I've also experienced tread separation with the resulting vibration that usually precedes a high speed blow out if you don't change the tire.

Tires are much better made today with higher minimum speed ratings, so if there are no cracks or other visual blemishes, cuts etc I personally would continue to use them. There is no question that you've lost some grip; that's unavoidable as tires age, but if you're comfortable with the dry and wet grip levels and don't drive the truck fast, again I'd wear them out.

As a point of interest, I've seen cars used in vintage racing with 20+ year old rubber even with micro cracks in them.
The owners know they are giving up some grip vs new tires. It's not an issue in any race scrutineering I know of.

I seem to recall a chart at Discount Tire that says manufactures recommend replacing at 6 years but that Discount Tire Recommends 10 years. Mine were made in 2007 so they are really 9 years old.

When I take her for a drive it requires driving on I-25 at 75mph.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
I know tire places and manufactures say to replace tires at 10 years regardless of mileage.

I believe that they actually recommend replacement at 5 years now.

Here is my take on those tires. IF you ever go out on the freeway, dont risk killing yourself or others with a blowout over $500 tires. If you never ride on the freeway and only ride around town 45-50mph tops, then those tires will be fine and I would use them. The chance of a blowout at 45 mph is SLIM.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: Chris B.
I know tire places and manufactures say to replace tires at 10 years regardless of mileage.

I believe that they actually recommend replacement at 5 years now.

Here is my take on those tires. IF you ever go out on the freeway, dont risk killing yourself or others with a blowout over $500 tires. If you never ride on the freeway and only ride around town 45-50mph tops, then those tires will be fine and I would use them. The chance of a blowout at 45 mph is SLIM.

I do have to drive on the highway at 75mph often.

It is odd...my wife's car has Toyo Versados tires made in 2009 I believe and has 60,000 miles on them. They are garaged day and night as she has a indoor parking garage at work. They are cared for the exact say way as my trucks Yokohama's yet hers have micro cracks all over the side walls and don't look nearly as nice even though they are newer and live a protected life.

PERSONALLY I would run them and not give it a thought. BUT I won't tell you to do it. The only tires I ever had go bad on the road were like new 2 year old tires. Old ones, no problems. My 65 mustang has 10 or 12 years old tires, but then I never drive it over 70. Also, the few tires that did go bad/blow out on the road gave me no handling problem till I was stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back