2014 Honda HCF-2 CVT UOA 26,534 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first UOA for me on this transmission. 26,534 miles on this fluid with 56,534 miles on the car's transmission and powertrain. We purchased this Accord new and I did a CVT fluid drain and fill at 10K, 20K, and 30K to get the initial break in contamination out. The recommended run is 30K miles for drain and fill service. Compared to the VOA sample I posted - HCF-2 CVT VOA HERE there appears to be shearing; I noticed how thin the sample was compared to virgin fluid when I prepped the sample bottles. I do like the low contamination numbers on the sample. Enjoy! Any questions just ask away, thanks.

Wow! Thanks for posting! I have three 2014 Honda's with CVT's in my drive way. The Accord and one Civic has 36K, the other Civic 25K. I've been changing the CVT fluid every other oil change since new. That averages out to about 16K each time.

Please explain the "shearing".

On the VOA sample the 100C viscosity was 7.1 cSt; the UOA came back with a 5.7 cSt. When I had both sample bottles side by side the viscosity differences were definitely visible when doing the "swirl" test visually. I know it's not the most scientific but the used fluid was noticeably thinner with both samples at the same ambient temperature.

Did your MM tell you to change the fluid at 30k? Code 3 is transmission fluid.

There is only a note in the owners manual:
  • "Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds or trailer towing results in higher transmission
    temperatures. This requires transmission fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the
    Maintenance Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the transmission
    fluid changed every 25,000 miles (40,000 km)."

Where did you get 30k?
I have 43k on mine and the MM has never flagged it. I did perform a D&F at 10k.

The maintenance minder did show the "3" for trans fluid service but it was between 28-29K if I remember. I reset it; I will have to look in the owner's manual again for where I saw the 30K recommendation. I had already committed to 3 each 10K mile drain and fills for the first 30K miles; just as a personal choice after reading others' experiences with this tranny in the first 2 years. I posted a reply in this THREAD about my findings in the first 3 services I performed.

I can add some personal observations that may only apply to this car and how it is driven but, as the CVT fluid gets around 10K miles or more on it, the tranny audible tone changes slightly. By that I mean a somewhat high frequency gear whine most noticeable during low speed deceleration; such as when you let off the gas to coast to where you turn into a driveway. I'm not talking a screaming tone, but something faint that once you notice it you know it is there. The sound goes away after a fluid drain and fill. Only my guess but, could be the fluid shearing I noticed in the VOA vs UOA comparison at 100C. I'm not an engineer so I don't know for sure, just a guess based on how these transmissions are put together functionally. Another brand of CVT fluid may hold up better, but while under warranty I will use the Honda HCF-2.

I have the same sound. It's more of a whistle sound. I've noticed it in other Accords.

I replied to the same thread. My fluid came out clean and clear at 10k. Mine was a dealer loaner car so I assume the transmission was untouched when I got it at 9,500 miles.

You must do more city miles than me. 15% on the MM puts me right at about 10k for my 90% highway driving. I will most likely get the code in about 7k miles then.

Thanks for posting VOA and UOA of Honda HCF-2 CVT fluid. My daughter 2014 Accord LX has almost 50k miles now, it may need to chance CVT fluid soon. As far as I know the only CVT fluid for newer Honda is HCF-2, Amsoil has CVT fluid but I don't know if it is compatible with HCF-2.

Originally Posted By: 86cutlass307
...Another brand of CVT fluid may hold up better, but while under warranty I will use the Honda HCF-2.

A wise move. Don't want to give Honda the smallest reason for denying any trans claim should the worst case scenario occur while under warranty.

At this point though unlike Z1 or even now DW1 where there are 'what I consider' several reliable aftermarket options, I'm not aware of a similar fluid for topic CVT fluid. Or at least one I would trust now.

I'll have to pay attention for that anecdotal "gear whine" experience when I get toward that point.

Oh and reading your linked post, I always try to measure the ATF fluid amount that drains so I have a good reference point for the fill. Think it is a good practice with a trans d&f.

Thanks for the VOA/UOA comparison.

Originally Posted By: 86cutlass307
Compared to the VOA sample I posted - HCF-2 CVT VOA HERE there appears to be shearing; I noticed how thin the sample was compared to virgin fluid when I prepped the sample bottles. I do like the low contamination numbers on the sample.

Quote:
I can add some personal observations that may only apply to this car and how it is driven but, as the CVT fluid gets around 10K miles or more on it, the tranny audible tone changes slightly. By that I mean a somewhat high frequency gear whine most noticeable during low speed deceleration; such as when you let off the gas to coast to where you turn into a driveway. I'm not talking a screaming tone, but something faint that once you notice it you know it is there. The sound goes away after a fluid drain and fill. Only my guess but, could be the fluid shearing I noticed in the VOA vs UOA comparison at 100C. I'm not an engineer so I don't know for sure, just a guess based on how these transmissions are put together functionally. Another brand of CVT fluid may hold up better, but while under warranty I will use the Honda HCF-2.

With regular oil changes, you have good wear numbers.
Concur with you the whines is related to viscosity shearing from 7.1 cSt to 5.7 cSt.
I'm of the opinion that it shows signs of inadequate wear protection specifically to bearings and gears within.
JMHO
blush.gif

Is this CVT MM something new on '14 and later models? Never seen it in my '13. Mine was changed by
shop at about 15K due to mechanical issue, and I recently did it at about 65K.

2015 Honda Civic SE CVT fluid HCF2
Blackstone Labratories on 8,26,2016
Mileage 34,893
Lab no. H73493
Bought February 1 2016 w 11miles
Changed CVT fluid June 4 2016 w 34,893 miles

Aluminum 6
Chromium 0
Iron 41
Copper 9
Lead 1
Tin 0
Moly 0
Nickel 0
Manganese 1
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 2
Boron 95
Silicon 16
Sodium 6
Calcium 439
Magnesium 1
Phosphorus 584
Zinc 4
Barium 6
Value should be.
Sus Viscosity at 210F 42.9 43-51
cSt Viscosity at 100C 5.06 5.1-7.9
Flashpoint 350 >335

Notes. Transmission in your Civic looks good. The extra metal and silicon you see is just the result of initial wear-in process and the harmless sealers used at the factory during assembly. That stuff should have all washed out with this fluid change,so you should see things looking more like universal averages next time,which are based on ~12,000 miles of use. Viscosity was a shade light,but thats not a problem.No contamination found. Check back without draining in another 35,000 miles.If all is well,then go even longer.

The MM in my Accord just flagged a transmission fluid change at 50,150 miles.

My guess is Honda goes about 50k normal service and that makes the 25k miles severe service make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back