Alignment Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having a Mazda3 checked for the alignment ONLY. Although the steering wheel and tracking are both straight, I'd like it checked just the same. Even if the alignment is needed(out only a bit), I won't do it today. My question is:

Is it possible for the Tech to mess with the alignment(move things) prior to giving me the print out of the alignment. Going to someone new and I don't quite have the trust yet!

Thanks,

CB

Some dealers have the Hunter machines out in the area where you park your car when you pull up. The service advisor puts the sensors on the wheels, puts the car in neutral and pushes it forward while the lasers read it.

I don't know how accurate it is. I've seen it at a Toyota dealer and VW dealer.

I just really want to know if a Tech can tamper with the adjustments before printing the report that I will view as a customer and, causing me to have to pay for an alignment when in fact, it the alignment may have been in spec.

The car tracks straight and the wheel is centered. I wouldn't do a thing. Keep and eye on the tires, only if they are not wearing properly would I mess with the alignment.

I know people will probably say this is wrong, but i have never "checked " alignment on any car that drove good and didn't wear tires unevenly. I just leave well enough alone. In the old days of just shims to remove or add to change camber and caster, I could literally guess what to change without even gauges. Of course I had a lot of experience with alignments.

I would watch the tires for uneven wear.
Alignments are money makers.
I say this because:

99,600 miles - I had my Alignment checked for the 1st time ever, printout showed every thing in spec.
I asked Employee if they would check it just to see if it was off 'before' I changed the tie rods.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
99,700 miles - Adjust 'after' new Tie Rods installed. OK I understand that.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
105,400 miles - Adjust with 4 new Tires. hummm, I question that one.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
108,700 miles - Took in for 6 Month (free) Checkup. Needed adjusting again. Only drove 3,300 miles

So, it seems like I went 99,600 miles and never needed an adjustment.
Now, it needed an adjustment after just 6 Months.

This was Dunn Tire I always went to.
They do good work - had 2 slow leaks fixed recently (no charge).

But I question the Alignments.
Now I watch for uneven tire wear.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your comments!
smile.gif

My Nissan Rogue just wore the fronts out in 9 months, then it wore the rears that were good put on the front in 9 months. Alignment showed excessive toe in and right camber positive (almost out of range for cross camber) They "couldn't fix the camber and the car is still "eating tire due top my crown countersteering and the positive camber on the RF wheel/tire.

I am thinking about a tad wider lower Altimax 43 or Kumho Sense 225-65R/16 new tires and trying to talk dealer service into getting a camber kit so they can get the RF camber to zero or even a tad neg. Anyone have a dealer service on a warranty do a camber or caster kit if the spec was "nearly" out but not ... there.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
My Nissan Rogue just wore the fronts out in 9 months, then it wore the rears that were good put on the front in 9 months. Alignment showed excessive toe in and right camber positive (almost out of range for cross camber) They "couldn't fix the camber and the car is still "eating tire due top my crown countersteering and the positive camber on the RF wheel/tire.

Considering the incessant stories you post, either you're making them up or you're the most abusive owner/driver I've ever seen.

Living in NY, with probably the worst roads (and road maintenance program) in the country (despite some of the highest taxes)...an alignment is almost mandatory every so often.

I had a shop align my Elantra last summer and the car quickly wore the inside edges of the new (front) 90K tires I had installed....it turned out the sway links were shot and the shop didn't pick up on it.
I had new links installed this March (along with 4 new struts and another alignment) and it's wearing much better....

+1 What WobblyElvis said and the tires TREAD WEAR tells the WHOLE story. Having it fixed when its not broken can only negatively effect alignment if some dope does the work and crowbars your wallet. Google Tread Wear, It is something you don't need a machine to see and regular tire inspections you can do yourself in a couple of minutes adds to your driving safety.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Considering the incessant stories you post, either you're making them up or you're the most abusive owner/driver I've ever seen.

No. You've never seen me. They are not Stories.

Chalk it up to bad cars, bad roads and bad gasoline and bad oil filters.

Ne'er had a problem with my Yugo. Trying to push the tech too far.

I agree with and practice the above recommendations. Save your money for an alignment either after service or if a problem is detected (such as poor tracking or uneven wear).

I am thinking about [snip] trying to talk dealer service into getting a camber kit so they can get the RF camber to zero or even a tad neg. Anyone have a dealer service on a warranty do a camber or caster kit if the spec was "nearly" out but not ... there.

Not in warranty, but when the camber measured out on one front wheel of my '88 Accord I installed a kit myself and took it back to the shop for a re-check, which they did for free.

I often see cars on the road with camber visibly off, 2-3 degrees or more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
The car tracks straight and the wheel is centered. I wouldn't do a thing. Keep and eye on the tires, only if they are not wearing properly would I mess with the alignment.

This. Alignments aren't a part of "preventative" maintenance.

And if you express the period over which your tires "wore out" purely in months, your opinion isn't credible enough to be taken seriously. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back