Doge Hemi 5.7 Oil with a hour meter ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
Im not trying to open a can of worms on oil,,
just wondering what you all think
the manual said 3,000 oil change, but is that too soon?

the car has a hour meter and on this oil i have 3,500 miles but only 71 hours

71 hours does not seem like much to me

I am running mobile 1 with a wix filter.

any idea if im better off changing it at a certain millage or at hours (i would think hours would tell more of the "story" than miles but idk)

(doing a lot of high way driving)
Any input would be great

Thank you,
Dave
300c 2006 70k miles

Edit: i know that on the crown vics from ford, for fleet use, they said ever hour of idle was equal to 33 miles

3500 miles at only 71 hours equates to an average of about 49.3 MPH average. An average that high can ONLY be obtained with mostly highway driving. 3500 all highway miles would be extremely easy on the oil. 3500 miles changes would be very conservative. Should be able to go 7500 miles no problem with a duty cycle like that.

If it were mine, I would just change it every 5k miles at 60K, 65K, 70K, etc. Makes it easy to keep track of.

Given that I know how primitive the oil-life monitor in my 2008 Ram is, I'm sure your 06 is similar or doesn't have a monitor at all. Jumping forward, the oil-life monitor on my '12 SRT usually tells me to change it at around 5500-6000 miles on the oil, and I consider that much sooner than necessary really. As someone said, your miles vs. hours indicates a good bit of miles per hour so relatively little idle time or stop-and-go crawling. If I were you, I'd go at least 6000 miles.

6 months or 6K miles should work nicely. I'd do that and get a UOA and go from there.

I've done maintenance based on engine hours rather than vehicle miles, I calculate equivalent as 60mi [100 km] = 1 hour.

I also have run a lot with 80 and 90 HP Yamaha 4-stroke outboards, typically 500~700 HRs a season. Maintenance on those, is oil changes @ 100 Hrs. I would consider marine use to be Severe Service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back