Mixing brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. I am running Rotella 15w-40 in my 5.9 cummins. It's at the bottom mark on the dipstick tube and I need to top it off. I have Delo 15w-40 left over from changing my boat oil. Can I mix the two together?

Thanks

I had always thought you were not supposed to due to different additive packs possible diminishing one another, but I did once mix 1 gallon of Rotella T6 with 2 gallons of Mobil 1 TDT both being 5W40 on a change interval in my Cummins. That's what I had readily available on the shelf in the garage, seemed okay for 6000 miles.

Just like any top-up on the road, you use what's available
smile.gif

Nothing wrong with mixing oils. I always use whatever I have left over when changing and I have tried many different oils over the years and many mixes. The only thing it will hurt is the opinions of those who say you can't do it.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Bud
Nothing wrong with mixing oils. I always use whatever I have left over when changing and I have tried many different oils over the years and many mixes. The only thing it will hurt is the opinions of those who say you can't do it.
smile.gif

+1

Use it millions of people mix oils and there is never a problem..
I posted something a while back about a guy i know that owns a repair shop and he mixes all the left over oil in the quarts he uses on customers cars and uses it for his own cars and trucks and he never has a problem

People who will say that there's no scope for any problems, and that the results will be predictable have no idea what they are saying...
a) chances are nothing bad is ever going to happen.
b) as you are playing 15W, you clearly don't need -40 performance to be guaranteed.

So go for it.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Just like any top-up on the road, you use what's available
smile.gif

01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back