2008 F250 6.4L Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

First post here. I have been doing a lot of reading here, and on other turbo diesel related sites about oils. I have a 2008 F250 with the 6.4 in it. The truck has about 75,000 miles on it and I have always used Rotella T6 5w40 with a Motorcraft filter. At 14-15 quarts, this is starting to get pretty expensive and I've been curios to see if I can achieve the same engine protection with a good 15w40.

How I use the truck: The truck sits M-F. I drive my trusty old Ford Ranger to work daily and use the truck on the weekends. I typically drive about 5,000-7,000 miles a year, and change the oil every six months regardless of mileage (thought this was the way to do it, due to age and possible moisture). I live in Northern, CA. So as far as climate goes, I rarely see any freezing temperatures, but do see some 110* summer days.

Just looking for some more knowledge and experience to see if I can get away with a Delo 15w40 or similar and still have the same engine protection as with the Rotella T6.

Thanks guys, I look forward to your insightful responses.

T6 is better for below freezing starts. Delo 15w40 can't be beat, Mobil 1300 is there as well.

Good grief, no wonder you think it's expensive. 3k OCI is overkill, you can easily run to 5k. Add a bypass with the savings, and probably get to 10k.
Valvoline Premium Blue is on sale at Menards right now. Go stock up for less than 11 a gallon, and do an oil analysis at 5k. Let them tell you how far you can go.

Last edited:
The only motive behind the 3k OCI is the length of time the oil is in the truck. I figured every 6 months was needed. But after some more reading recently, seems moisture and time isn't such a concern.

Originally Posted By: Mike_Dankbar
Ah forgot to mention that. 100% removed.

I do 5k a year on Delvac 1300 that is $46 for four gallons. Add $20 for a Motorcraft filter. I get it analyzed every change and the TBN is over 6. No more than .5% fuel.

If you keep the Rotella have a sample analyzed at 5k. Change at least every year, if not two. I bet you could push the Rotella to 7.5 or 10k if you are not seeing fuel dilution or high insolubles on the sample report.

Just run a 15w40 diesel oil in it. I'd change it every 10,000. That's what it calls for in the manual, although I do believe they changed that because 10,000 was too long for stock trucks. I buy delo 400 15w40LE at walmart for like $11.57 a gallon. I like it because it's cheap and it has a good amount of moly.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the way I'm leaning- Delo 15w40 and a MC filter and call it done.

Do you worry about the cold start capabilities when your hovering around 30* ambient? Or is 15w40 more than adequate with those ambient tempatures?

That's the way I'm leaning- Delo 15w40 and a MC filter and call it done.

Do you worry about the cold start capabilities when your hovering around 30* ambient? Or is 15w40 more than adequate with those ambient tempatures?

15w40 is fine for California. If you're expecting a cold night you could always plug in. Delvac, Delo, Rotella are all great and capable of doing a one year change at only 6-7k a year driven. My choice would be Delvac. My uncle has a F450 6.4l and he Runs 15w40 year round in Indiana.

Last edited:
Is Delo 15w40 going to provide the same protection with my 6 month, 3,000 mile OCI?

Is that the OEM recommended interval? If so, how long did Ford hang onto that interval? I thought it was a bit OCD in the late 1990s diesels, let alone ten years after!

Delo really kicks a lot of other oils straight in the jewels. Beat ESP in the PDSC, CMOT, and LPTL 0201K. Wow.

Just what is going on at Chevron? Did they capture a crashed UFO or something?
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Delo really kicks a lot of other oils straight in the jewels. Beat ESP in the PDSC, CMOT, and LPTL 0201K. Wow.

Just what is going on at Chevron? Did they capture a crashed UFO or something?
thumbsup2.gif

Just a really good additive pack (see link below for VOA analysis), and they price them selves correctly in the market place. The product speaks for itself in VOA & UOA.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/consolidated HDEO 2015.html

Healthy dose of Zinc, Moly, Boron, and detergents.

Are you guys running 15w40 through the winter months? Some nights we may see down to 25F where I am at and was still questioning the thicker oil at those ambient temps.

You'll be fine in those temperatures with 15W40 Delo, its when you're down around zero or below that concerns me personally.

During the winter I run 5W40 (Delo or Mobil 1 Delvac ESP) due to Michigan temp's getting down to zero or below sometimes. I'm not usually plugged in either so the 5W40 helps, saw a (-19) morning in Feb. and fired right up.

Drained the t6 this evening and filled with Delo 15w40. Only $44 OTD @ Wally World for oil. Not too bad!

Truck runs and sounds exactly the same. Thanks again for all the info

With all the emissions gone you can run out the OCIs without the fear of oil dilution. I run 15-40 in the summer and 10-30 or 5-40 rotella in the winter. We routinely get to -20 degrees or lower and it starts fine. Just make sure to stick to the motorcraft filters and buy the oil when you can get a good rebate. Mine seem to work out to 7.5K miles twice a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back