Grand National exhaust question

Status
Not open for further replies.

I recently replaced my 86 T Type exhaust system with a Pypes SS exhaust system with Race Pro mufflers. I am not happy with the "drone" noise at 18-20K RPM and was wondering if there are any GN owners on here that may have experienced the same issue. The system has been checked and double checked for possible installation issues but there are none. The specific mufflers I used were advertised by Pypes and other sites to not have the "drone" I have. I called Pypes and they will do nothing as it is not a manufacture defect issue!

When I had my 87 GN, I bought the Hooker 'cat back' system and liked it. IIRC the Pypes system had some fitment issues as well as the dreaded drone at cruising speed. Their customer service was lacking as well. Sorry to hear you're having these issues. There are a couple good GN forums on the web, TurboBuick.com is a good one IIRC. Those guys can most likely give you some good advice.

Drone is the nemesis of cat back systems.

Do you run an X pipe? If headers sometimes a nice crossover pipe in the collector will work wonders. I honestly thought the turbo would homogenize the noise enough to help with drone...

Originally Posted By: 007
I recently replaced my 86 T Type exhaust system with a Pypes SS exhaust system with Race Pro mufflers. I am not happy with the "drone" noise at 18-20K RPM

Until I guessed "typo"....I wondered what rear end ratio would give you a cruse RPM of 18-20 THOUSAND in that Buick!

Originally Posted By: ammolab
I recently replaced my 86 T Type exhaust system with a Pypes SS exhaust system with Race Pro mufflers. I am not happy with the "drone" noise at 18-20K RPM

Until I guessed "typo"....I wondered what rear end ratio would give you a cruse RPM of 18-20 THOUSAND in that Buick!

Haha, that drone is the bottom end coming unglued...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Yeah the drone at 18000-20000 rpm is your engine exploding. Must sound awful.

Or a turbocharger at lower boost.

Installed a Dynomax catback on my 2012 Mustang when I had it. They happily took return of the system after I experienced terrible highway drone (which is too bad, as otherwise it was a nice system). Sometimes paying more for a big brand has its benefits.

FWIW, I ended up with a Magnaflow on that car, and liked it very much. Have been running Dynomax Ultraflow SS on my 96 for years with happy results.

I ordered a Pypes Muffler once an 'M80' I believe and it's just re-branded Chinese kit. The particular muffler I got really doesn't do much for muffling, it's more of a resonator than anything else

Originally Posted By: gman2304
When I had my 87 GN, I bought the Hooker 'cat back' system and liked it. IIRC the Pypes system had some fitment issues as well as the dreaded drone at cruising speed. Their customer service was lacking as well. Sorry to hear you're having these issues. There are a couple good GN forums on the web, TurboBuick.com is a good one IIRC. Those guys can most likely give you some good advice.

Same site is the one that recommended the system I have. Only now that I have posted my issues are some guys coming forward with the same problem!

My wife does not run mufflers on her Grand National...turbo, downpipe, a big catalyst I think is a Dynomax, a Y-pipe, then mid and tailpipes. Not at all loud, no drone.

I have been told that many people weld on a Cherry Bomb muffler in the middle of the exhaust system to prevent drone. However, I don't know if this would work for you and your car.

In order to get the same effect in my 2003 Saturn ION, I bought a long Magnaflow muffler with a very narrow circular case. I wanted stainless steel instead of painted steel. When combined with the biggest Dynomax Super Turbo muffler that would fit, the car made very little more noise than stock, but made more power across the board.

I had a custom exhaust shop do my '87 GN exhaust way back in 1990 or so. They used good quality steel and custom bent the pipes and even replicated the factory slash style cut on the tips and they exit the same as stock. They used a "turbo muffler" of what brand I don't recall but probably hooker or similar. The sound is totally awesome with a deep rumnble and NO drone. I like the stock look over the straight out the back.

So my recommendation is a good custom made system from a muffler shop using good metal not cheap. My system stills looks new. You can also check out Kirban Performance as he has cat back systems but usually the steel is cheap on these systems you buy ready to bolt on. Many are just mild steel.

Drone is the bane of V6 engines, as well as some V8 engines, like Fords.

The aforementioned Vibrant resonators are VERY effective at killing drone. I use their "Ultra Quiet" resonators, and not the bottle type.

When I eliminated the failed catalytic converters from my Navigator, I was guaranteed to have drone and snappiness from my exhaust. I decided to go with the Vibrant resonators in place of the cats, and there is exactly no difference between stock and what it is now.

Only thing I'll say about the Vibrant resonators is that if you install them very close to the engine, the chrome finish does not hold up. They do not rust or anything, as they are stainless, but the chrome fades. When installed a few feet back from the engine, they stay as they are.

Originally Posted By: ammolab

Yup' typo it was! SORRY!! 1800-2000 would be correct

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I had a custom exhaust shop do my '87 GN exhaust way back in 1990 or so. They used good quality steel and custom bent the pipes and even replicated the factory slash style cut on the tips and they exit the same as stock. They used a "turbo muffler" of what brand I don't recall but probably hooker or similar. The sound is totally awesome with a deep rumnble and NO drone. I like the stock look over the straight out the back.

So my recommendation is a good custom made system from a muffler shop using good metal not cheap. My system stills looks new. You can also check out Kirban Performance as he has cat back systems but usually the steel is cheap on these systems you buy ready to bolt on. Many are just mild steel.

The system Kirban sells and advertises as having NO drone is exactly what I have. The system installer will swap any mufflers I want but its now a matter of what to get. As mufflers run around $100 each I would like to get it right the second time around. I too miss my old system at this point but was stuck on getting an SS system in 2.5"

I checked today and the mufflers on my GN are Walker turbos. I cannot emphasize how good the sound and I have zero drone. Again, this was a custom exhaust, not bolt on I did. I found my receipt and I paid $345 back in 1990 for the work and I could not be happier.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I checked today and the mufflers on my GN are Walker turbos. I cannot emphasize how good the sound and I have zero drone. Again, this was a custom exhaust, not bolt on I did. I found my receipt and I paid $345 back in 1990 for the work and I could not be happier.

What size exhaust, do you have a cat converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back