Delo 400 Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running Delvac in my XSR900. I put it in at 96mi and did a couple short changes. I'm at 1200 now and all is well. Shifts are butter smooth with not clunk or click even. Shifting is seamless.

Bike power wheelies in 1st and 2nd easily in every mode so no clutch slipping at all. Slipper clutch works great during high RPM/ High load downshifting. At $12 a Gallon I plan to stick with it.

These triples don't have the quietest valve train, but mine seems quieter than a few of FZ09 bikes I've been around. Delvac is fantastic.

I've been using it for about 6 years on my GSX-R750 K7 2007. I just tried some Delvac MX 15W40 CI4 and I prefer the shifting of the Delo 400 15W40. It shifts noticeably smoother and for longer than the Delvac.

Motul 10W50 shifts a tad better than the Delo but doesn't hold the smooth shift as long.

Originally Posted By: AMC
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Looks like Delvac would be a little better for cleaning or longer intervals, while Delo might have a slight edge in protection as far as the conventional ones go.

Really?

I was thinking the exact opposite. Delo has that huge dose of boron for cleaning while Delvac has a better TBN and volatility for better long term protection. Am I missing something here?

I thought BORON was an anti-wear additive, not cleaning.

Well I'm back with my opinion on Delo 15-40. Overall it shifted better longer than Rotella and the Bandit seemed to like it. It did have slightly more clutch drag when cold but that cleared up as soon as the engine came up to temp. I can definitely recommend it in my experience.
The next trip in extreme heat I'll try some 20-50 as 15-40 just seems to be a little thin. The Bandit is oil cooled and thus is hard on most all oils unless you start peeling off the dollars for something exotic.
YMMV

Smoky

Sweet, Thanks for remembering to update us!

I am still trying to decide If I like Delo or Delvac 15w-40 better for my Yami S-10. So far both are great, I just need a little more time to determine if I can tell any difference between the two oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back