I would watch the Olympic air-rifle competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
if they merely handed an "unsophisticated" Daisy Red-Rider fresh out of the box to each competitor
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Blaze
if they merely handed an "unsophisticated" Daisy Red-Rider fresh out of the box to each competitor
smile.gif

Don't do any competition matches, do you.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Same for basketball is the height limit was 5'2"

The lower age limit for Women's Gymnastics is going to be 55 next Olympiad.
36.gif

I deal in those BB guns
$3K-$4K on up
smile.gif

In the late 60's these guns were in the low $200 range but mostly spring powered.
Honestly it is very hard to compete with these. One hole groups should only be a few thousands over the original pellet hole.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Shooting BB guns is an Olympic sport?

Here is a rifle I made famous in the USA back in the 90's.
This is not 10 meter but designed for Field Target use. Fully recoiling.
I built the stock and build all the internal tune up parts for these.
This gun is about 15 years old and seen a bunch of competitions.
Not just a BB gun
smile.gif

Olympic competition grade air rifles can cost upward of $3,000.00+. And that is usually without sights. Some, not all, come with them depending on the rifle. Those can easily run another $1K. Add in a custom case suitable for airline travel, Olympic grade competition pellets, shooting jackets, gloves, glasses, air compressor to fill the tank, forend rests, (not all ranges supply them). And you can easily be looking at well north of $5K to get into the sport on an Olympic grade level. Biathlon is much the same. This is a rifle similar to what Ginny Thrasher won her gold medal with.

http://www.topairgun.com/177-feinwerkbau-800x-air-rifle-medium-grip-left-hand

Honestly, the things are likely so accurate that competing with lasers would be similar, and I feel more like it's a measure of how still the athlete can keep the platform while firing it. It's almost as if the people are competing only against each others ability...

I can hardly call shooting stationary in one place a "sport", rather perhaps a "skill". Biathlon certainly is a sport, which crosses skill with endurance and athletic capability. I'm glad that there is shooting in the olympics. I don't know that the propellant makes much of a difference, compared to the fact that one can display shooting sports/skills on a world stage.

I grew up with air rifles, and enjoy shooting them. I have no issue with folks who demonstrate their skills with those vs powder-based guns. Obviously the range and abilities will be limited, but that's the nature of the beast.

Yeah sort of like small game hunting with a shotgun.
Point and shoot- if you miss- why?????????
I love old shotguns for collecting purposes like LC Smith, Parker, Boss, Purdey etc.
but I wouldn't hunt with them. Of course wild upland game is a bit different than what I'm alluding too.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I can hardly call shooting stationary in one place a "sport", rather perhaps a "skill". Biathlon certainly is a sport, which crosses skill with endurance and athletic capability. I'm glad that there is shooting in the olympics. I don't know that the propellant makes much of a difference, compared to the fact that one can display shooting sports/skills on a world stage.

I grew up with air rifles, and enjoy shooting them. I have no issue with folks who demonstrate their skills with those vs powder-based guns. Obviously the range and abilities will be limited, but that's the nature of the beast.

You can take it to the limit.
I built these .22 pellets for a custom low power lwt. sporter I did.
Of course no good at high velocity.

Archery skill is now done with balancing arms/weights on 3 sides, and other sophisticated bow devices. I'd rather see the technology of Robin Hood.

I'm with you on that. I have imported those Olympic guns for years and still can.
But honestly inside they are [censored]. Yeah at $4K they are [censored]. Nothing is machined true and to a high standard.
A guy with some machining skill on a $3500 Chinese lathe could make superior parts.
A good trigger and barrel cover up many ills.
Plus these are hard to sell guns and boring to shoot.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Archery skill is now done with balancing arms/weights on 3 sides, and other sophisticated bow devices. I'd rather see the technology of Robin Hood.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I'm with you on that. I have imported those Olympic guns for years and still can.
But honestly inside they are [censored]. Yeah at $4K they are [censored]. Nothing is machined true and to a high standard.
A guy with some machining skill on a $3500 Chinese lathe could make superior parts.
A good trigger and barrel cover up many ills.
Plus these are hard to sell guns and boring to shoot.

I have a single shot Chinese 5 MM air rifle that was given to me by an older friend that has since passed. This thing is actually heavier than my milled Arsenal SAM-7 AK-47, and both of my Yugo Underfolders that have the heavy gage receivers! It's built like a tank, and is very accurate, and in all but new condition. It pumps with a side lever, and actually is quite powerful. I'll have to dig it out one of these days and post a picture of it. I've never seen anything like it. I doubt they're being imported any longer.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Maybe I'm different, but when I used to shoot 3-400m using a .223, after trying to punch out groups for an hour or so, I felt as beat down as when I fought full contact. A different kind of worn out, but it was similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back