Techron vs Techron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys, I was browsing in a local parts store today at the fuel system additives. I've been thinking of trying out this techron stuff that gets discussed on here a lot. One store carries what seems to be a "super concentrate" as it says one ounce treats (I forgot the number of gallons, but it seems it was the average size gas tank). This seems an awful lot like Lucas, which seems to be frowned upon around here. Just wondering if I should try out this new one that is only a couple dollars more for several more treatments, or if I should go with the one many swear by.

http://www.autozone.com/fuel-and-engine-.../?checkfit=true

http://www.autozone.com/fuel-and-engine-.../?checkfit=true

It's not the exact same product for sure, (at least the concentration caries) as the dosages are way different. The 32 oz says add 1 ounce per several gallons, like to where my 26 gal tank would use nearly 3 oz. While the 20 oz bottle would do less than 2 treatments in the same tank. I guess my exact question is do you guys think it is just a difference in concentration, or is it possibly more differences than that, like ratios of the different chemicals used are also different.

Originally Posted By: HemiMoparGuy1981
It's not the exact same product for sure, (at least the concentration caries) as the dosages are way different. The 32 oz says add 1 ounce per several gallons, like to where my 26 gal tank would use nearly 3 oz. While the 20 oz bottle would do less than 2 treatments in the same tank. I guess my exact question is do you guys think it is just a difference in concentration, or is it possibly more differences than that, like ratios of the different chemicals used are also different.

Yes, they are the same product. Read the "Specifications" sections in the links you provided. The 32 oz bottle treats 32 gallons of gas and the 20 oz bottle treats 20 gallons. I use the large bottles in my Suburban (30ish gallon tank) and the small bottle in my Grand Prix (17 gallon tank).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Yes, they are the same product. Read the "Specifications" sections in the links you provided. The 32 oz bottle treats 32 gallons of gas and the 20 oz bottle treats 20 gallons. I use the large bottles in my Suburban (30ish gallon tank) and the small bottle in my Grand Prix (17 gallon tank).

I don't think that is accurate on Autozone's website. If it is, it may not be the same product I was reading in the store. Maybe I'm mixing up numbers from memory, but I was sure the 32 oz bottle said 1 ounce does like 12 gallons or something. I guess I will have to go back to the store tomorrow and read it again to see if I'm just crazy, and maybe snap some pics of the labels.

I guess it would make sense if they really were the exact same, as the front of the labels look identical. It's just the numbers about dosages stuck in my head that seem so different.

Yeah man I agree with the others on here about this... seems to be a 1:1 ratio for both 32 and 20 oz versions. It would be really cool if Chevron would make a more concentrated version of their techron.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Yeah man I agree with the others on here about this... seems to be a 1:1 ratio for both 32 and 20 oz versions. It would be really cool if Chevron would make a more concentrated version of their techron.

Just double up the dose.

Look at it this way. Anything that does what Techron does at that high of a concentration (1 oz. to 12 gallons) would probably require a rubber suit and a respirator to handle.

Is this different than the above products? My costco has a box of 6 for $12 right now. Its $7 less than the usual price

http://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/Chevron-Techron-Fuel-Injection-Cleaner%2c-16-oz%2c-6-ct.product.11947789.html

Last edited:
Isn't adding Techron,etc,to fully formulated gasoline just like adding Lucas to fully formulated motor oil?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Isn't adding Techron,etc,to fully formulated gasoline just like adding Lucas to fully formulated motor oil?

A closer but incomplete comparison would be like added a quart of Redline to your sump.

Costco sells in six packs cheap ... +/- oz/gallon but I dump it in 3/4 tank anyway (mixes better, in my head at least
wink.gif

Use in my boats too - that is what some of the OEM's buy from CVX ...

Well Vern I was thinking more along the lines of a 5:1 ratio... but, for the price of eggs you are quite correct
smile.gif

Last edited:
Costco sells the Techron Fuel INJECTOR Cleaner, which has much lower concentration of the active ingredient than the Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner. That is why Costco's Fuel INJECTOR Cleaner requires you to repeat every 1,000 miles instead of the 3,000 miles of the Complete Fuel System Cleaner.

From Chevron's Techron website -

The same Techron Concentrate Plus, Complete Fuel System Cleaner, is now available in a new 32-ounce, multi-serve, value package. Add 1 ounce for every 1 U.S. gallon of gasoline.

http://www.techronworks.com/content/chevron-techron/en-US/products.html#.V6cWVejR-70

Originally Posted By: shanneba

From Chevron's Techron website -

The same Techron Concentrate Plus, Complete Fuel System Cleaner, is now available in a new 32-ounce, multi-serve, value package. Add 1 ounce for every 1 U.S. gallon of gasoline.

http://www.techronworks.com/content/chevron-techron/en-US/products.html#.V6cWVejR-70

Ah, I was on Chevron site looking for that info. I guess this seems more like a "news update", I was looking for like a "products" menu or something to see everything they offered for retail sale.

Originally Posted By: Chewie
Costco sells the Techron Fuel INJECTOR Cleaner, which has much lower concentration of the active ingredient than the Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner. That is why Costco's Fuel INJECTOR Cleaner requires you to repeat every 1,000 miles instead of the 3,000 miles of the Complete Fuel System Cleaner.

Yes, I looked up the new Fuel Injector Cleaner product and it was mostly Stoddard solvent. The Fuel System Cleaner has a much bigger dose of PEA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back