Maxlife for Dexron VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
93k on a 09 Pontiac G8. Just recently the transmission seemed a bit, off. Nothing bad, just not as crisp. I have a new high capacity pan and a new filter sitting here but now cannot find Dexron VI locally (for a reasonable price). Unfortunately a last minute trip came up and I will be doing 1000 miles Monday and would like to do the pan swap tomorrow. It looks like Maxlife "meets or exceeds" Dex vi but isn't specifically approved (due to licencing? Or something else?).

Bottom line, put Maxlife in now or run the 1k and get gm Dex vi later?

P.s. not sure I'm ready to go with super tech...

Yes it works but it's not GM's Formula so it's not licensed for DexronVI.

Personally I feel Maxlife is better than DexronVI and I use it myself.

As a side note any DexronVI that is licensed and on GMs list is about the same with the strict guidelines for additives and base oils meaning the Supertech DexronVI is just as good as name brand stuff.

Why aren't you ready to go with ST? The Walmart ATF does have official GM approval and probably even has the Dexron license number on the bottle
smile.gif

Smitty's synthetic ATF is also licensed Dexron VI and a good price at Kmart

I use SuperTech in my FWD. Tried Valvoline once and had to remove it. Trans shifted weird. Didn't Valvoline fail PQIA testing a while back?

Originally Posted By: sprite1741
Trans shifted weird. Didn't Valvoline fail PQIA testing a while back?

PQIA questioned one of its coverage statements. Valvoline answered with a response that was satisfactory.

Havoline Dexron VI at Amazon, 12 quarts for $55 has always been a great choice if you can wait for it to ship.

Originally Posted By: Snoman002

Run the 1k and use Dex VI later.

Nothing at all wrong with SuperTech-branded Dexron VI. One of the majors will make it and it's easily available and inexpensive.

It looks like super tech is well liked, perhaps I will just get some of that instead of Maxlife, for now anyways.

S Tech dex 6 is just as good as Castrol or any of the name brands. Personally I prefer dex 6 over the "one size fits all" Max life. I used S Tech on my last change and will use it again.

Originally Posted By: Snoman002
93k on a 09 Pontiac G8. Just recently the transmission seemed a bit, off. Nothing bad, just not as crisp. I have a new high capacity pan and a new filter sitting here but now cannot find Dexron VI locally (for a reasonable price). Unfortunately a last minute trip came up and I will be doing 1000 miles Monday and would like to do the pan swap tomorrow. It looks like Maxlife "meets or exceeds" Dex vi but isn't specifically approved (due to licencing? Or something else?).

If you have a menards near by they have valvoline dex 6 for around 4.50 a quart.

Last edited:
The current bottles of Supertech Dex VI say on the back "NOT A LICENSED PRODUCT". Started noticing this about 1 year ago. The old bottles don't have that statement written on them.

Originally Posted By: stower17
The current bottles of Supertech Dex VI say on the back "NOT A LICENSED PRODUCT". Started noticing this about 1 year ago. The old bottles don't have that statement written on them.

Don't know how they can label Dex 6 and at the same time say not licensed.

Dex VI is an outstanding fluid. So is Maxlife, but I've seen lots of GM trannies go 250-300k on both Dex III and VI. No reason to change I don't believe. FWIW, I personally wouldn't use a Dexron product that wasn't licensed.

Anything labeled Dex6 is pretty stout stuff. If someone claims another product is "better" then your splitting hairs.

Last edited:

Around here is the reverse. When it first showed up it was not licensed, but now the bottle shows it is licensed for both mercon LV and dexron IV

Can't upload pictures,or id show ya....

No idea whats going on there, might be very old stock.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-DEXRON-VI-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-1-qt/17134873

Quote:
Super Tech DEXRON VI Automatic Transmission Fluid, 1 qt:

Specially formulated with premium base stocks and advanced additive technology
Officially licensed and GM-approved
Meets the requirements of General Motors automatic transmissions calling for DEXRON VI fluid
Suitable for use where DEXRON II, DEXRON III, JASO M315 (1A), Toyota WS and Toyota T-IV fluids are recommended
Protection against wear and transmission shudder
Resistant to thickening due to high temperatures
Provides friction stability to maintain smooth and consistent shift performance

Looks like Super Tech DexVI is a good option, good price too. Slightly less per quart than ML gallon jug at WM.

Honestly, 'I'd' have no problem using either the ST or ML, but give the edge to ST here for it's specificity, approval statement, combined with price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back