14 EcoDiesel 3 samples FF twice and after 1st oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, I no longer own this vehicle (lease actually) but I figured I'd share my data anyway for discussion and analysis. Here we go with the reports...

Factory fill (assumed to be Pennzoil Euro L 5w30 as that's what the Owners Manual states to use) sample taken to judge if the 10,000 mile OCI was actually viable. Looking good as far as TBN goes, wear metals are high, no real surprise here since it's a brand new engine. Oil was NOT changed when this sample was taken.

Second sample just before the oil was changed (for free) at the dealership. 10,002 miles, a little fuel present likely as a result of not getting it warm enough prior to sampling. Sample was drawn through the dipstick. TBN still looks great, Iron PPM/1k stayed exactly the same as previous sample @ 13ppm/1k.

Third sample taken just before I turned the Jeep in, not because I needed to, but because I wanted a comparison. TBN is much lower on this sample even on a shorter run (roughly 1/2 the miles of the first sample) and the add pack is different. This leads me to believe one of two things has occured, either the FF was not Pennzoil Euro L, or the dealership used a different oil, or perhaps a third option that neither oil was what I suspected. In any case Iron PPM/1k is about 50% of previous readings at 6ppm/1k. The lower TBN makes me wonder what oil they used this time as it has Boron which the FF did not, silicon is also much lower, not sure if it's from sealants or the FF used it as an addative, also with such a low TBN at under 4,000 miles I'm doubtful that this oil would have made it 10k like the FF did. I suppose we'll never know since I no longer have the Jeep.

Enjoy!

Any thoughts on the Factory Fill compared to the dealership fill? I noticed similar trends in other EcoDiesel UOA posts. Factory fill had more Zinc Phosphorous ans Silicon with next to no Boron. Perhaps a break in oil additive from the factory or a different oil all together.

I think the factory fill for that engine is Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w30, which has been formulated for that engine. Pennzoil indicated this oil is the newer version of the Ultra Euro L with the exception of Volkswagen diesels that require the 507.00 specification which would have the lower additives like your third oil analysis. Basically the Pennzoil Platnum Euro L used a slightly more robust additive package than the Ultra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back