Favorite Cheese?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
It's like asking for my favorite air.

It's easier to list not favorite cheeses: Velveeta and American singles.

Yet both are delicious cooked into scrambled eggs.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Cheese cake then SR5 ?

Happy Birthday

Thanks mate.

Yeah I don't mind a good cheese cake.

Originally Posted By: Red91
I've become quite fond of Boar's Head Swedish Fontina. It's delicious when wrapped around their prosciutto and some baby romaine lettuce. Also delicious on sandwiches. What's yours'?

All depends on how you are eating it/what you are eating it with.

If you are talking just to eat a chunk of cheese, eating it with fruit/crackers, maing mac & cheese, etc... you can't beat good old NY/VT Cheddar. I even use it in my salads when I add cheese. The longer it is aged, so the stronger it is, the better. White, firm/hard to the point of being crumbly, and smelling like God's feet that makes your eyes water! The stronger and ranker it is the better.

People at the store always look at me like I am nuts when buying prepackaged cheddar bricks. I can't pre-taste to know if it's any good so I have to fall back on a pretty reliable test. I go through all the packages of the one I want to buy and squeeze them. The harder it is the stronger it will be( as a rule ). If it is spongy/soft it usually will be weak flavored and tasteless. If I squeeze the brick and it has little to no yield it will be hard, crumbly, and strong which is exactly what I want.

Right now the best option here( readily available and affordable )is Cabot Artisan Reserve. The stuff is really good when you get a good brick. Comes in a red wrapper and is aged 36 months. Occasionally you get a weaker flavored one but on the whole it is pretty good even then. Cabot also has one called Vintage Choice that comes in a black/purplish wrapper that is aged 24 months. That one used to taste like the newer Artisan Reserve does. Now the Vintage Choice is usually pretty mild. Cabot used to sell one called Hunter's Cheddar or something like that they now call Seriously Sharp. That can be okay at times but it is a real [censored] shoot and is usually Seriously Dull.

If you go to a cheese shop or specialty store you can get some really strong stuff. We used to have a cheese store here when I was a kid shaped like a big cheese wheel with a wedge cut out( the doors ). They had some cheddar that was so old and stinky it made your eyes water and we had to store it in a glass jar or it stunk up the fridge. They called it truck driver cheddar. Man was that good and my Dad loved it. Sadly that store and cheese has been gone for a long time. Next best thing is a local country store( Calef's )that makes their own. They offer it in different levels of aging. The good thing is when you go to buy you can taste the various ones so you know what you are getting. More of a soft cheddar vs. a hard crumbly one but it can pack a punch if you get the right one. Pretty $$$ though. There is a local cheese specialty shop that has an English( i.e. England )country cheddar that is really good but is also very $$$ so I seldom buy it.

With all due respect to the fine folks in the state of Wisconsin, their cheddar sucks! I have yet to have ANY that has any flavor and taste to it. It is all spongy like an eraser and is tasteless. Cheddar should be white not orange as well. I have tried a lot of variety's and brands, some aged for 7*10 years they clam, and it just isn't very good/strong. I hear people talk about their great cheddar and I can only wonder if they have ever had good NY/VT cheddar to compare it to. They make lots of good cheeses for sure but cheddar isn't one of them IMO. Give me good old NY/VT style any day.

For sandwiches, burgers, cheese sauces, salad dressings, etc... there are a lot of kinds I like and use ranging from mild American to Extra Sharp Provolone. All varies and it isn't as important to me as the cheddar is. The cheddar I buy is what matters. If I get a bad brick it is very disappointing and I might even discard it. If I get a weak ES Provolone for example it isn't a big deal and the sandwich is still good.

Last edited:
Not really a sandwich cheese, but if I had to pick a favorite, it would be feta for sure. I love feta cheese.

I like a lot of cheeses though. For sandwiches, I like gouda and provolone. I like cheddar and sharp cheddar on biscuits and bagels.

Probably the only cheese I will not touch is stuff like casu marzu...no maggots for me.

Love me some Feta too - Grill some yellow & red bell pepper - yeah, good grill marks - grill alongside of fresh asparagus - plenty - marinate in some balsamic vinaigrette in fridge a few hours - toss that on baby spinach leaves - a bit more BV - now lots of Feta -
Bonappetit
wink.gif

Cabot Seriously Sharp is so good it makes my taste buds tingle, and every grocery store has it in stock around here. I gave my brother a chunk of it one time, and he said what the heck is that cheese because it's the best I have ever had. He buys it all the time now. I like the Cabot Extra Sharp too.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Love me some Feta too - Grill some yellow & red bell pepper - yeah, good grill marks - grill alongside of fresh asparagus - plenty - marinate in some balsamic vinaigrette in fridge a few hours - toss that on baby spinach leaves - a bit more BV - now lots of Feta -
Bonappetit
wink.gif

Speaking of grilling and cheese.

What about Halloumi that Greek/Cypriot/Turkish cheese that is usually served fried or grilled.

Very Tasty !!

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Cabot Seriously Sharp is so good it makes my taste buds tingle, and every grocery store has it in stock around here. I gave my brother a chunk of it one time, and he said what the heck is that cheese because it's the best I have ever had. He buys it all the time now. I like the Cabot Extra Sharp too.
Hadn't heard of seriously sharp; but I do like the Extra. NY extra sharp is usually a favorite. I'll have to look for that Seriously sharp next time I'm in the store.

A while ago I found a Dubliner Cheddar that I like as a snacking cheese.

Really depends on what I'm using it for.. but in general, if I just want some to eat.. Havarti is always a great choice.

Having said that, I feel I must share this:

Originally Posted By: BigD1

Cabot's Seriously Sharp cheese( formerly Hunter's cheese )is okay but many times it is disappointing IMO. Once in a while it packs a wallop but I stopped buying it because too many were duds. You really have to pick through the packets and find one that is rock hard and does not have any give when you lightly squeeze it or it will be bland, mild, and rubbery like Wisconsin cheddar.

If you really like sharp cheddar look for Cabot's Artisan Reserve in the red wrapper. Best cheddar they offer and I have only gotten a mild one like 2X's since I have been buying it. Usually it is excellent and occasionally it is exceptional. The brick I am eating right now would curl the hair on a goat! Might be the best one I have ever got?

One of our local supermarket chains( Market Basket )actually carries it in their specialty/premium cheese case( when you can find it in stock that is )for a decent price. You can order it online direct too.

https://www.cabotcheese.coop/artisan-reserve-cheddar-cheese

Cabot's 2nd best cheddar is their Vintage Choice in the black/purple wrapper( I have seen it sold in clear wrap with a purple label too in small portions ).

https://www.cabotcheese.coop/vintage-choice-cheddar-cheese-1lb

Cabot makes the best cheddar out their IMO for sure. But you still have to squeeze each brick and look for the hardest one you can find. As they have grown the quality( probably not the right term = not as strong is more accurate )has dropped a bit and you get a lot of bricks that fall short in the OOMPH dept. Still the best out there but as said not as good as they once were. That is why I am so picky when buying it. The harder the brick the more likely it will be strong.

I also noticed they have changed the age length, or renamed them, on some varieties which results in a lest zesty flavor compared to how it used to be. Frankly the newer Artisan Reserve( 36 month )reminds me of how the Vintage Choice( 24 month )used to taste and the Vintage Choice now reminds me of their Private Stock( 16 month ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back