is Gulf Multi G Racing oil a true race oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather avoid an SE at all cost, though in favour of xW40 or thicker in used engine.
blush.gif

Think it might be wise to pass on this one.

Once upon a time Gulf Oil were a mighty US oil company that used to sponsor the Porsche racing team. Now an Indian company owns the Gulf brand name so the brand value is effectively nil.

Also remember that SE oils sold today are not the same as SE oils that were current when your car rolled off the Dagenham assembly line. They will contain a lot less additive; maybe a half if you're lucky.

My advice is stick with an oil that is API SL which I think is still an active spec and in theory 'policed' by the API.

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
Also remember that SE oils sold today are not the same as SE oils that were current when your car rolled off the Dagenham assembly line. They will contain a lot less additive; maybe a half if you're lucky.

Oops, didn't realise this.
Thanks for the heads up.
thumbsup2.gif

This oil isn't meant to be used, I don't think - it's an antique oil can for a collector from the early 1970's.

Lots of these for sale on-line as shelf pieces.

No no, it is actually full of oil and intended to be used, there are quite a few of these "Classic" oils available in Europe : Comma Classic, Castrol XL, Gulf Classic and Multi G, Shell X100, Morris etc... it's just an outdated spec, if you click on the link you can see a spec sheet is provided, if the "experts" here advise me not to use it that's it.
A lot of these classic oils are just outdated formulations in a nice tin can to make classic car owners think it's the right stuff for their cars, and a lot of people fall for it.

The problem with buying oil from the UK is that Royal Mail doesn't want to carry anything over a litre of fluid and the shipping would be crazy expensive, i saw that already

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
The problem with buying oil from the UK is that Royal Mail doesn't want to carry anything over a litre of fluid and the shipping would be crazy expensive, i saw that already

Yes, Royal Mail will only employ Gompers. They're best avoided where possible.

Opie will courier if you ask them to, or maybe you could find it on the Mainland for less delivery cost?

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
was the shipping expensive? might seriously consider it if it isn't

£8 I believe. but I also had a 15% discount on the oil itself. Redline for about half of what I pay locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back