What can you safely power wash under the hood?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cover the electronics, especially the connectors, with cling wrap.

Do not use anything except for a fine spray/mist to hose down engine cleaner - NEVER rely on water pressure to clean crud.

And try your best to keep that cleaner off the belts, as noted.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Cover the electronics, especially the connectors, with cling wrap.

Do not use anything except for a fine spray/mist to hose down engine cleaner - NEVER rely on water pressure to clean crud.

And try your best to keep that cleaner off the belts, as noted.
smile.gif

Good pointers. I also cover the coil packs and try and be very careful cleaning around them. With time and some patience you really don't need to power wash under the hood unless there are some real major issues.

Last edited:
I think thorough drying is important too. I use a leaf blower to completely dry everything when I'm through cleaning. I clean mine on a regular basis.

You guys are much too nice. Your engine compartment is, for the most part water tight unless you have underlying issues. It's wise to consult your owners manual to see what they say.

I cover the battery, spray mine with Simple Green, wait a few minutes and then fire up the pressure washer. Put on the 40 degree tip (the broadest), stand back and fire away until it's clean.

To dry, I start the engine and let it idle for 10-20 minutes. Maybe drive it around the block a few times.

Been doing it this way for years and no issues.

I just cleaned my engine this Summer / last done 3 years ago.

1) Cover with tin-foil Alternator, Fuse Box & Cover of Power Steering Reservoir
2) Spray engine with Simple Green, wait a few minutes
3) Rinse using garden hose
4) Repeat
5) Remove tin-foil, close hood & drive
6) Spray with Sonus (Acrylic) Trim & Motor Kote
7) Admire

If your using a High-Pressure Hose, be careful not to force water where it shouldn't be.
That's why I use a garden hose.

As said above, I wouldn't use a pressure washer, just the hose and simple green.

For a little extra cleaning power I have hooked up my garden hose to the drain valve on my water heater.

I used a garden hose once......next week there goes the tensioner.

As said, if you are relentless and are going to do it anyway.....maybe you should get on the highway for 30 minutes after performing the task to help minimize risks.

Really though, citrus clean, tire shine and some shop towels would be 'best'.

I think the benefits to be gained by 'powerwashing' your engine are much smaller than the possible problems that can be caused. I would just wipe in down with a wet sponge and at the very most, hose it off gently...

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I used a garden hose once......next week there goes the tensioner.

As said, if you are relentless and are going to do it anyway.....maybe you should get on the highway for 30 minutes after performing the task to help minimize risks.

Really though, citrus clean, tire shine and some shop towels would be 'best'.

I've never had good luck with auto tensioners. Probably was it's time to go.

Here is what you do if you want to do the job right.

1. Dry vacuum the engine bay. Just pick up the big debris like leaves and such.

2. Lightly mist with water

3. Spray a diluted all purpose cleaner and allow a few minutes to dwell.

4. Agitate with a soft brush

5. Rinse with natural water pressure from hose. No need for spray nozzle.

6. Use shop vac or leaf blower to blow dry engine.

7. Use some light quick detailer with a microfiber towel on the nice parts to give a nice sheen.

Really bad bad idea.

Just wipe down covers etc with a rag, a bucket of hot water, and Simple Green.

Eye each ugly spot and clean it, then rinse with water carefully using clean rags and a bucket of clean water.

And no, I don't mean dump the water from the bucket all over the engine.

Use a wet rag, and some elbow grease.

Nothing to be gained imo that you couldn't get done by hand with a rag and cleaners. In most areas, the grease is actually protective of your car's paint.

Seals - as in shaft seals and bearing seals - are part of the products our company engineers. We cringe at the thought of somebody power washing right at the seal... especially a greased application. The water injected would destroy the bearing in short order by compromising the lubricant. Maybe that's why the tensioner failed shortly after power washing. Plus, these seals are an easy target; that's where lubricant purges and makes the biggest mess.

I've been cleaning engine bays in all my cars for years now. Never had an issue, except once a long time ago getting water in the spark plug tubes on an older Corolla. Didn't want to start, so had to remove the water with a paper towel and no other issues. If you use a little discretion where you are spraying, you'll be fine. I use the pressure washer, but a wider nozzle, and further distance. Let the degreaser do the work for the most part. Drying with leaf blower or air compressor is a good idea.

I've gone close to 300,000 miles on some vehicles that were never cleaned except the parks that needed repair. The motor does not care... I do blow off excess dust once in while with air or a leaf blower...

Is this a clean thing, or a show-off thing?

I wash and use the brush under the hood of every car about every other time I go to a car wash.

Everything I've ever owned, made since the late '80's or early '90's, is well sealed and water is a non issue.

An engine that won't run soaking wet has another name: junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back