Knock sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what do these do and how do they work?

Will a ECU advance (make the plug spark before TDC) a fuel/air mixture as much as it can safely? In doing so, it will get as much power and economy from the fuel in the tank.

If this is correct, then why dont we all run on race fuel or at least 93 octane?

Usually your spark table has a maximum value, the knock sensors will reduce if it can't achieve that value. The value changes under RPM and load conditions.

The knock sensors can detect the appropriate sound of a detonation event and command the PCM to pull timing until the event has ended. Sometimes bad motor mounts or accessories can even mimic this sound and cause false readings.

In simpler terms, your car tries to achieve a timing goal, if the knock sensor says it's detonating, it pulls out timing. I believe in some cars it can also modify VVT operation as well.

Last edited:
How an engine responds to perceived pre-ignition seems to depend on fuel injection type and maker. Port fuel injected engines seem to retard timing as a response but lots of direct injected engines richen the fuel air mixture instead. In both cases, 93 octane fuel seems to have advantages. Whether it's worth the added cost is debatable.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Will a ECU advance (make the plug spark before TDC) a fuel/air mixture as much as it can safely?

In my experience with the vehicles I have owned since I started using Torque to monitor various OBD parameters, yes it will. In general, the ECU will advance spark as much as it can without damaging the engine. This brings the potential for more power and response, but it also brings the potential for better economy (advanced timing generally improves fuel economy).

In doing so, it will get as much power and economy from the fuel in the tank.

Yes, this is correct. I'm sure there's a practical limit given mass production using non-exotic materials, but, in my experience, 93 octane does not reach that limit.

If this is correct, then why dont we all run on race fuel or at least 93 octane?

I do. Well, I don't run race fuel, but I pretty much exclusively use 93 octane. I have found a performance and economy advantage to it in every vehicle I've owned in the past 5-6 years. Our Acura recommends premium fuel, and you can feel and see (on Torque) the performance hit with regular. Our Ridgeline recommends regular fuel, and you can feel and see (on Torque) the performance gain with premium.

I started playing around with premium fuel regularly with my 2011 Camry. I thought it ran pretty lousy on various brands of regular fuel. I searched and searched for a brand of fuel it liked and discovered that it wasn't the brand of regular it didn't like, but was regular fuel it didn't like. It ran a ton better on premium.

In my experience and opinion, octane recommendation is consistent with market placement rather than actual programming of the ECU. Our Acura is a premium vehicle with a premium market placement. It runs just fine on regular fuel -- no issues. Less power, but no issues otherwise. Acura can get away with a recommendation for premium fuel because of the vehicle's placement in the market. Honda can't very well recommend premium fuel for the Ridgeline. Despite the fact that it can use the octane to its advantage, no other vehicle in that segment recommends premium fuel. So they try to match the market and recommend regular. It's not that they "de-tuned" the engine for regular. It's simply the ECU not advancing the spark as much as it would otherwise be able to in most situations.

What exactly is your performance gain with premium? Engines are designed around a particular fuel. Cars that require premium typically have a higher compression ratio, cars that use regular have a lower compression ratio. In theory, running premium in a car designed for regular doesn't yield any performance improvement because the car is already firing at the correct timing and the timing is not retarded. The knock sensors just retard the timing if knock is detected. Performance also varies based on temperature, hot air has less oxygen, cold air has more. Because the engine uses a specific air/fuel ratio, you'll get more power in the winter than you will in the summer. The btu content of regular and premium is the same, to get better performance out of premium must mean that the engine is retarding the timing when it's on regular and that there's something wrong with the engine. If there's nothing wrong, there should be no performance gain. Of course if the engine was really designed for premium and they just recommend regular, that would make sense, but that would also be an odd selection because they're usually very fine tuned for CAFE reasons.

Its a vehicle by vehicle thing. The engines Im familiar with that have a knock sensor, can only retard the timing by up to 3-5 degrees when it sees knock. It won't add timing as it can, just tries to run the standard table and if it knocks, pulls timing. There are situations where a little more octane might keep it from pulling timing. High load or high temperature. Or both.

Originally Posted By: Danh
How an engine responds to perceived pre-ignition seems to depend on fuel injection type and maker.

The question is about knock AKA detonation AKA pinging. Pre-ignition is a different thing.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Its a vehicle by vehicle thing. The engines Im familiar with that have a knock sensor, can only retard the timing by up to 3-5 degrees when it sees knock. It won't add timing as it can, just tries to run the standard table and if it knocks, pulls timing. There are situations where a little more octane might keep it from pulling timing. High load or high temperature. Or both.

I agree with you that it will vary by manufacturer.

In some cases, I think the standard timing tables use enough advance such that the engine is always adjusting timing dynamically according to input from the knock sensor. If you watch the load parameters on a ScanGauge or Torque, you'll find that the engine is at or above 80% load very often. Load (in this context) can be summarized as the actual airflow through the engine divided by the maximum possible at that engine speed. For instance, at just 2,000 RPM (beginning to accelerate from a stop sign for instance), 40% throttle may deliver all the air the engine can possibly consume at that engine speed. So engine load, at just 40% throttle, may be at or near 100%. A more simplistic measurement of this is manifold vacuum. If there is vacuum in the manifold, then the engine is trying to pull more air than the throttle will allow, meaning it CAN consume more. At no vacuum (or very close to no vacuum), the throttle butterfly is not a restriction, and the engine is consuming all the air it possibly can. This isn't necessarily at WOT.

I can see a difference in the timing advance values (with different octane) just pulling out of a parking lot. On 87 (in both of our current vehicles), the timing is retarded MORE than it is when running 93. There is also a difference at higher speeds in the form of fewer torque converter unlocks or transmission kick-downs. This is pretty repeatable if you can drive the same roads all the time, and find some with hills that are JUST steep enough to force a kick-down with one fuel vs. another.

I'm very sure there are vehicles with standard timing tables that "max out" with 87 octane. In this situation, higher octane won't matter because the timing is already advanced as far as it's allowed. I think this is largely driven by corporate powertrain programming standards, and how different manufacturers like to do things. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if these ECUs pulled timing more often than one might think.

Unfortuantely, most manufacturers don't make the "timing retard" events readable across the ODB-II protocol without proprietary scanners, so it's hard to be absolutely sure.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
What exactly is your performance gain with premium? Engines are designed around a particular fuel.

I agree that engines are designed around a particular fuel, but only to a degree. In my opinion based on my observations with a number of vehicles, fuel octane requirements are influenced by various market factors, and probably how that manufacturer predicts an octane requirement will be received by buyers. Buyers of Camrys don't want to have to use premium. I found that my '11 Camry responded very well to premium, but it did run "fine" on regular. Toyota probably could have claimed better fuel economy numbers with premium, but they had to weigh that against the market's reception to a Camry that requires more expensive gas.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
What exactly is your performance gain with premium? Engines are designed around a particular fuel.

I agree that engines are designed around a particular fuel, but only to a degree. In my opinion based on my observations with a number of vehicles, fuel octane requirements are influenced by various market factors, and probably how that manufacturer predicts an octane requirement will be received by buyers. Buyers of Camrys don't want to have to use premium. I found that my '11 Camry responded very well to premium, but it did run "fine" on regular. Toyota probably could have claimed better fuel economy numbers with premium, but they had to weigh that against the market's reception to a Camry that requires more expensive gas.

The V6 in the mid-2000s Avalon and RAV4 was advertised as having slightly less power than the same engine in the RX350 because Toyota recommended 87 octane for the first two and premium for the last.

I worked on the electronics for a knock system designed for a major US OEM back in the mid '90s and it was a closed loop system that was an integral part of the engine control architecture. The customer wanted to be able to operate the engine at extremely light knock, too light to be sensed by the driver, to get the maximum power and fuel economy possible without damage. We took outputs from piezoelectric vibration sensors mounted around the block and processed the crud out of them to filter out shaking from things like hitting potholes and cranking subwoofers way too high, then digitized our outputs and sent the info along to the ECU's microprocessor. We were not privy to everything that they did with the data and probably wouldn't have understood all of it, but we did get to see prototypes working on a dyno and it was amazing how quickly and accurately they responded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back