Need Help with Oil Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Bob and others,
I came across your forum and wanted to get your advice. I have a 2014 Mercedes 250 Bluetec diesel. This is the 2.1 liter four cylinder with twin turbo. Because of the DPF (planning on removing it in the future) Mercedes is recommending an 229.52 oil and most are using Mobil 1 either 0-30 or 5-30. I recently read an article by a guy who maintains these engines and because of the high heat they generate he says they have a “coking” problem with the Mobil 1. He recommends Redline 15-40.
I’m over my head and everyone has an opinion. I would like to keep this vehicle for a long time and I have a shop here at my house and the experience to do my own service. I don’t mind paying extra for the best oil and frequency in oil changes but at this point I am at a loss to know the best oil to use. Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Pretty sure Redline doesnt have an oil that meet the spec. Any turbo can coke if you wind it up then shut it off, but Im having hard time believing his answer is to use a non spec oil.

Ive got 2 -229.52 Sprinters and have been looking for alternative oils, but have found none in the us market outside of MB, and mobil 1.
That said I haven't exhaustively searched.

You can get a case of 6 quarts of MB oil from Amazon for like 50 bones, or stick with the M1 ESP.

If you have any DPF or EGR related problem and do it yourself MB is going to ask for oil receipts and if you run a non spec oil good by warranty.
Im sticking to either for now and only put about 10K or 1 oil change a year on each van so I don't rip through much oil in these.

Will be watching to see who jumps on the spec next myself.

UD

Mobil1 ESP, 0W30 or 5W30 (though 5W30 meets MB 229.51).
Redline DOES NOT have approval from MB.
Check NAPA. NAPA in June had on sale Mobil1 5W30 ESP for $5.99 per liter. I used M1 5W30 ESP in BMW (3.0 Inline 6 with two turbos) with stellar results. Now got Valvoline during summer just for the heck of it. Buts till has stash of M1 for winter.
NAPA as far as I know has sale of different oil brand every month. Once M1 goes on sale stack up. I think M1 will be on sale in September.

Last edited:
Coking is a heat management issue. It's the nut behind the wheel who can either make it worse or stop most of it... As stated earlier, let it loose some road heat before you shut it off. Don't pull a grade to the top, pull off and shut it off. If it's been working, let it idle a for a few minutes before you shut it down...

Anyone who has spent time around big rigs will tell you are not alone. But turbo coking with modern oils is not what it used to be. Be prudent and it should not be a issue for a long time
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 2444
Hello Bob and others,
I came across your forum and wanted to get your advice. I have a 2014 Mercedes 250 Bluetec diesel. This is the 2.1 liter four cylinder with twin turbo. Because of the DPF (planning on removing it in the future) Mercedes is recommending an 229.52 oil and most are using Mobil 1 either 0-30 or 5-30. I recently read an article by a guy who maintains these engines and because of the high heat they generate he says they have a “coking” problem with the Mobil 1. He recommends Redline 15-40.
I’m over my head and everyone has an opinion. I would like to keep this vehicle for a long time and I have a shop here at my house and the experience to do my own service. I don’t mind paying extra for the best oil and frequency in oil changes but at this point I am at a loss to know the best oil to use. Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Do any Rotella oils meet the MB spec?

Wow! Thanks so much, now I have some experienced input to work from.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Hello Bob and others,

Thanks

Do any Rotella oils meet the MB spec?

Yes 228.31 which is NOT applicable in this engine and this type of SCR system.
228.31 is commercial spec. Considering NOACK numbers I seriously do not know why people using that oil next to much better selections.

Wow! Thanks so much, now I have some experienced input to work from.

Mobil1 recommends for your engine Mobil1 5W30ESP.
X1 0W30 is also OK, but it has bit higher SAPS level (lower SAPS better for DPF) and lower HTHS (Higher HTHS better for turbo protection).
I would just get M1 5W30 ESP in NAPA in September on sale and stack up shelfs in garage.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Never heard of any coking issues on Sprinters...

That is just bunch of B S that is coming for that mechanic trying to sell Redline.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

That is just bunch of B S that is coming for that mechanic trying to sell Redline.

Neither one of you have honestly heard of OM642 BlueTEC coking/sludge issues?
Oh, I see...
wink.gif

hands-over-ears.jpg

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

Neither one of you have honestly heard of OM642 BlueTEC coking/sludge issues?
Oh, I see...
wink.gif

hands-over-ears.jpg

Nope, I actually did not.
So what is it? Long drain intervals? I have not heard that issue being present in Europe where speed are much higher. I did though hear about issue with injectors.
But, Redline 15W40 will not cut because that mechanic apparently never heard for DPF and SCR. Now, if he said 5W40 Euro or 5W30 Euro RL I would give him benefit of doubt. But, even those are NOT approved by MB, and approval is not expensive at all. I asked this question numerous times: why Redline is not getting their oil approved? I worked on oil approval and VW charged approval few years back (VW 504.00/507.00) around 3,200 euros or $4,000.

I worked on oil approval and VW charged approval few years back (VW 504.00/507.00) around 3,200 euros or $4,000.

Pretty sure you mean 3200-4000 Euro in paperwork and testing if the oil is actually complaint.

It must not be that easy, only two products are available and its been that way for some time.

UD

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
I worked on oil approval and VW charged approval few years back (VW 504.00/507.00) around 3,200 euros or $4,000.

Pretty sure you mean 3200-4000 Euro in paperwork and testing if the oil is actually complaint.

It must not be that easy, only two products are available and its been that way for some time.

UD

You mean R&D of oil? Of course it is more expensive.
Sending oil to VW? $4,000 to send oil, and get approval letter back (if oil gets approved or not approved). It is in interest of car companies also to make easier for customers to use right oil.
So there are no conspiracy theories how this costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, which I bet is story pushed by companies like RL, RP and Amsoil (though Amsoil is getting SOME oils approved).

UD

You mean R&D of oil? Of course it is more expensive.
Sending oil to VW? $4,000 to send oil, and get approval letter back (if oil gets approved or not approved). It is in interest of car companies also to make easier for customers to use right oil.
So there are no conspiracy theories how this costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, which I bet is story pushed by companies like RL, RP and Amsoil (though Amsoil is getting SOME oils approved).

Its the R&D cost is that I was referring to. The expensive part is engineering the oil to pass the cert, I imagine that could very well could cost hundreds of K.

If anyones formulation they have laying around will pass Im sure they'd have sent a 4K check and a sample along with a letter and check to I believe it may be API in this case.

Pretty sure the only thing the 642 and 651 have in common is the benz name and 229.52 oil certification.

UD

Last edited:
If anyones formulation they have laying around will pass Im sure they'd have sent a 4K check and a sample along with a letter and check to I believe it may be API in this case.

Well not necessarily. Some companies consider it a badge of honor to sell uncertified oils yet say they meet the requirements of the certification. It adds to the aura of mystique about the oil and makes it seem as though one is in a special club. But you are correct that doesn't mean it will pass. It might, but then it might not.

One thing I have always wondered is how do they know the exact requirements for certification? Is that something that is publicly available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back