Cargo roof rack options for Honda Fit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there --

As part of big changes in my life, I will be driving my beloved Honda Fit from Atlanta to Southern California. The plan is to fill the Fit with as much as I can and that will be it. Won't be shipping stuff via movers, won't be hauling the Fit behind a UHaul, won't be mailing stuff. The Fit is it, so to speak.

I would appreciate any and all advice about how one goes about finding out the roof rack options for my car. I say "cargo" only because it won't be used to haul bikes, kayaks, or anything else specialized. I've seen racks like that and I don't need them.

Do I look online? I did a google search and was a little overwhelmed and didn't even know where to start. Are there stores that specialize in that sort of thing?

My only two criteria are:
a) cost
b) it will used for general cargo (i.e. light boxes, etc) and nothing specialized as described above.

Edit: I just want to add that I have no idea which rack brands are good and which are [censored]. That's part of the reason I am asking here.

Thanks very much for any advice or suggestions!

Last edited:
I'd stick with Thule or Yakima- If you use their systems, as directed, they stand behind the product and will replace/repair any damages (car and cargo) if their products fail. If you want to go "budget" get a inno rack system. I'd poke around on the fitfreak site and see if anyone is selling a rack as well. The other option is getting a hitch and hitch mounted rack. MPG's are going to take a beating with a roof rack.

Get the correct "feet" and load bar (style/width) of your choice and some NRS straps, which also will replace/repair any damages (car and cargo) if their products fail and start packing.

See this is why I love you guys. I didn't even think of a hitch mounted rack. It makes sense. And yeah I was resigned to the MPG hit I was going to get with the roof rack but obviously a rear mounted one would be better.

Actually, can you put a hitch on a Fit? I'll have to look that up.

THe problem i have run into with my wife's fit is the 850lbs cargo weight limit which also includes passenger weight. I have been at that limit several times with just some friends in the car and its not a happy place. The car can handle it but the handling and acceleration is obviously a lot different. Bottoming out the wheels and the lack of brakes would also be my concern. With all of your stuff, and added cargo capacity you might want to keep that in mind for a long distance journey.

Thule and Yakima make racks worth putting on. They crop up used so peek around there first. A cargo box will carry some items.

I have used stuff on my Acura MDX including 17cu box and makes life way easier with 3 kids/trips.

I like that except for the lack of security.

Plan on selling most of your junk. Cash doesn't even have to travel with you. Only replace what you really miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back