WiFi Extenders

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking of adding a wifi extender in my house. Are there any radiation type issues with this as we have with cell phones?
Thanks in advance

I am not clear on your question. You already have a wifi router, and want to extend it, and you're worried about the additional radiation from the extender device?

The signal strength falls off logarithmically based on your distance from the device, whether there are 1 or n devices. I wouldn't sleep with one next to my head. If you had a router on the 1st floor, and an extender on the 2nd floor, say in the hallway or stairwell, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

As you sit now the wifi device you are using (presumably handheld) is straining to reach the router across the house. If you added an extender the device would run lower power and you'd have less radiation around your body.

I have a verizon router or modem in the basement. On the complete other side of the house, my daughter has a computer that we connect wirelessly to the internet. I was thinking of adding a wifi extender somewhere on the first floor.

Would this increase the radiation levels in the house?

As I already said, devices straining for a connection will radiate more than ones comfortably talking to a device nearby.

So if you have more "nodes" putting out less power it's a toss-up.

Are you yourself concerned about radiation only for yourself? Do you use devices? Or is this concern for the whole house?

You'd be better off with two routers at lower power than one blaster. Same as if you installed one 500 watt light bulb in the middle of your house and you counted on it bouncing around to provide light vs having sensible bulbs in every room.

There are tools like "netstumbler" that detect signal strength on an absolute level. Compare before and after, along with moving routers/ antennae/ power levels etc. I take it you want a low, consistent level.

* Quantified by this "radiation" doesn't do anything to your body.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

* Quantified by this "radiation" doesn't do anything to your body.

The OP should keep in mind that those radio and TV transmitters across town (or down the street) are very high-powered, whereas the little home routers are powered by 12v DC. Not very much energy could be put out by those.

If you have the option of connecting the computer with an ethernet cable, consider a powerline ethernet adapter. I recently bought a pair for our house, and it works great. I actually have a router on both ends of mine, so I have two WiFi sources in the house, but you can certainly plug a computer into the adapter just the same.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
If you have the option of connecting the computer with an ethernet cable, consider a powerline ethernet adapter. I recently bought a pair for our house, and it works great. I actually have a router on both ends of mine, so I have two WiFi sources in the house, but you can certainly plug a computer into the adapter just the same.

Powerline networking has come a long, long way in the last 3-4 years!

I have the base adapter up by the house WiFi router, and the second 'router' (actually a wireless access point) down at the pool in the back yard! The whole house and back yard is a private WiFi zone!

If you ARE worried about radiation, then you shouldn't use a cell phone or have WiFi in the house. Like it or not we're around it all of the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back