97 Honda Civic - Possible motor mount issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC1

Hi guys,

My wife's 97 Civic is making a noise at idle and when she puts it in gear to drive away from a stop. It sounds like the heat shield is vibrating, but I've removed all loose heat sheilds a long time ago.

I believe it's a worn out motor mount. There are 4 mounts on this car and I'm not sure which mount it is. Is there an easy way to determine which mount is bad? I've also read on numerous posts, that I should stick with OEM mounts, since the cheap ones fail quickly.

I'm the original owner of the car and it only has 181,xxx KM on the car, so we'll be keeping this car for a few more years.

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
Use a crow bar or something similar and lightly rock the engine around as you watch each mount. You should be able to find one that moves too much.

Its not a motor mount,its all that horsepower trying to get out!! Could be a mount,on all my Honda cars, it was always a lower one that broke.

I also agree with going with OEM engine mounts. The aftermarket ones are no where near as good. That said, on a nearly 20 year old car, the cost of OEM may not be worth it to you if you don't plan to keep it much longer.

Start with the side engine mount on the driver side of the vehicle. You may need to remove the mount in order to inspect it. I think the part # is 50824-S04-013. MSRP is about $150.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back