Wireless security camera system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone install a wireless camera security system? There has been a lot of bad activity around us and was looking at installing some camera's outside to help keep an eye on the place. Any suggestions on web sites and products would be greatly appreciated.
smile.gif

Thanks for the info. After some research, wired still seem to be the way to go but are more of a hassle of placement do to being wired but if it works better I guess it is a trade off. Kind of sad that one has to go this route. The days of living fear free with unlocked doors are forever gone.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
Thanks for the info. After some research, wired still seem to be the way to go but are more of a hassle of placement do to being wired but if it works better I guess it is a trade off. Kind of sad that one has to go this route. The days of living fear free with unlocked doors are forever gone.

I think that was gone since the 1960's. The Boston Strangler was believed to have entered the homes of women who left their doors unlocked as there was no signs of forced entry.

Originally Posted By: R_W_M
I have the Netgear Arlo system. It works well, and I am pleased with it. Each camera take 4 CR-123 lithium batteries. I average about 4 months on a set of batteries in my outdoor cameras, which get the most use.

[URL]http://www.arlo.com/en-us/[/ursl]

Four months on batteries that run 24/7...... or do they run on motion detection-only?
Is this camera outdoors, exposed to the weather?
How much are the lithium batteries to replace - cost for each camera?

Not sure what kind of system you're looking for, but if possible, I'd go with a wired system if you can. Something powered over an ethernet cable is ideal.

I have a bunch of Hikvision cameras that are fantastic. They have wireless models with internal SD cards for recording. You can access it through the IP address. I have a small NVR to record the video. I've had a couple Foscam cameras that were pretty easy to use as well, although I only had indoor models.

I think the Hikvision cameras are a little more commercial grade compared to something like a Nest or Dropcam. Those might be good enough for what you want. The Arlo, being battery powered, is pretty nifty though!

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
I have the Netgear Arlo system. It works well, and I am pleased with it. Each camera take 4 CR-123 lithium batteries. I average about 4 months on a set of batteries in my outdoor cameras, which get the most use.

Four months on batteries that run 24/7...... or do they run on motion detection-only?

Triple_Se7en:

The two outdoor cameras are "on" all the time, but only send video to record upon sensing motion. The two outdoor cameras get about 4 months per set of batteries. My indoor cameras are only activated when we are away from the house, so they last longer. The video is stored in the cloud, not locally.

My two outdoor cameras are mounted under the protection of the eaves, so they are not subject to rain. The cameras are supposed to be weatherproof, though.

I buy the CR-123 batteries at my local Batteries+ store. IIRC, I paid $27 or $28 for a pack of a dozen last time I bought some.

Thanks RWM

Sounds like 'real world' battery wear is based on motion detection. So being I want a camera mounted in front of the house where it's semi-busy with activity, my batteries would die rather quickly....... perhaps not last a month.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Triple_Se7en:

The two outdoor cameras are "on" all the time, but only send video to record upon sensing motion. The two outdoor cameras get about 4 months per set of batteries. My indoor cameras are only activated when we are away from the house, so they last longer. The video is stored in the cloud, not locally.

My two outdoor cameras are mounted under the protection of the eaves, so they are not subject to rain. The cameras are supposed to be weatherproof, though.

I buy the CR-123 batteries at my local Batteries+ store. IIRC, I paid $27 or $28 for a pack of a dozen last time I bought some.

Isn't Amazon cheaper for CR123 batteries?

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
RE: The Arlo.

Does the camera give you some sort of low battery warning or does it just die...?

Both the website and the smartphone app always show battery levels. I also get an email when a battery is low (<15%).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back