FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Belgium is right next to Germany, and there are no import/export duties. The cost of transport can't be significant in the grand scheme of things.

I was mainly referring to the Malaysian Castrol,

Why would we care about Malaysian Castrol? GC (the subject of this thread) is made either in Belgium or in Germany.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
We will probably never know but the statement "Not for sale outside the Americas" is a strong legal statement that may be aimed at the German marketing regulations for "full synthetic."

That wording is on every Castrol bottle on the market, including GTX. I even have a photograph in my API Labelling thread in the photo section of the older version of the wording on Syntec 5w-50.

18.gif
18.gif
18.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Did you see my thread on what we've finally got available here, edyvw?

I me referring to Ghokan and his question about labeling.
I just cannot believe what he is posting to the point where it is useless to write anything.

Last edited:
No, I wasn't talking about that business. I just thought you might be interested in the two new products we got available up here, with you being a Castrol user, so mentioned that I had started a thread on it.

No, I wasn't talking about that business. I just thought you might be interested in the two new products we got available up here, with you being a Castrol user, so mentioned that I had started a thread on it.

Oh, yeah, I saw that. I am now more interested in Castrol C3.
But then, I know Mobil1 5W30 ESP is IMHO very, very good product.
Also, BMW LL-04 (SheLL GTL) is like $8.85 per liter in dealership. Pretty much cheaper then M1 5W30 ESP.
So I might just stick to BMW oil, unless Castrol brings that C3 in Wal Mart. That would be good.

Last edited:
I'm interested to see what will happen in our Walmarts or Canadian Tire, or, notably, Partsource, since they carry a couple oddballs at times, like the M1 5w-30 ESP. Wakefield somehow talked Walmart Canada into stocking about four versions of Castrol HDEO, three of them 15w-40, so perhaps they have a shot.
wink.gif

I'm interested to see what will happen in our Walmarts or Canadian Tire, or, notably, Partsource, since they carry a couple oddballs at times, like the M1 5w-30 ESP. Wakefield somehow talked Walmart Canada into stocking about four versions of Castrol HDEO, three of them 15w-40, so perhaps they have a shot.
wink.gif

Yeah M1 ESP can find in some places. On Amazon is $109 for 12 liters.
Howeer, yesterday I picked up car in Minneapolis, drove to Colorado. Bought in dealership 1 liter of BMW LL-04 for $8.85. That is not bad price for C3 LL-04 oil.

Today, I saw some Belgian Castrol Edge 0w-30 A3/B4 Fluid Titanium Technology, API-SL. Is this the newest stuff or some old stock being cleared out? Why isn't it marked SM or SN? In looking at current bottles of this stuff on Amazon they aren't labeled as API-SL. Yet, the Oct 2015 Castrol spec sheet linked below does state API-SL and those manufacturer certs are the same as on the bottle (with Fiat tossed in too)....BMW LL01, MB 229.3, 229.5, etc. If the XX/XX codes on the bottom of the bottle are month/date, these range from 2001-2011...which doesn't make sense if titanium tech. is something new.

I can use the stuff if this is the thicker 0w-30 with visc of 100c at 12.2. Per Castrol's spec sheets a lot of the 0w-30 are weakish 30 weights (ie 100c visc at 9.8-10)

Castrol 0w-30 A3 professional 467330

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Why isn't it marked SM or SN?

Because it exceeds API SM/SN additive limits for Xw-30 grade.

Thanks. I found an older thread on the particulars with several replies by yourself. Exceeds phosphorus specs but meets all other performance specs of SM/SN. In summary, it really doesn't offer much of anything that the SN or A3/B4 5w-30's or 0w-40's don't currently have.

Old thread on the subject

least we forget castrol-bp low lifes selling syntec as advertised "synthetic" oil illegally even before their $$$ swayed the advertising council to allow group III oils legally labeled + sold as "synthetic" even Amsoil has gone this route not touting PAO base oils as in the past. i for one like to know as much as possible about the $$$ i spend on any product + hate the secrecy used today since the law change. i knew europe was different but not exactly where i was not sure, so is Germany the only place where 50% + above PAO must be used to be legally "synthetic" todays water cooled cars are prolly best served with the cheaper group III base oils, big air cooled motorcycles are another story + IMO benefit from better group IV + V oils. thankfully a few oil blenders see fit to tell you they use the superior base oils, their reasoning of course is to justify their higher pricing. i really enjoy this forum, especially posts from the like of Quattro Pete who surely knows a lot more than the info he gives, but i appreciate that info as getting a little is better than none at all!!!

Without wanting to flog that incredibly dead and decaying horse, perhaps you should focus more on what performance your $$$ is buying, rather than what molecules? If an engine type needs a specific level of performance to function well, then a specification or approval must be met to achieve this. It doesn't matter which molecules are mixed together to achieve this performance. It's a bit like car engines - they are gradually getting smaller; there are less 'cubes' in them but they are delivering more performance per cube, so overall performance is maintained or increased. If you were paying for a car by the cubic inch (or even by the cylinder) then they should be getting cheaper but no, they are not. You are paying for the performance and other factors.

How about those ruffians at BMW, putting "335" on a model with a 3.0 litre engine??! Or at Mercedes, with the C63 AMG only using a 4.0 litre engine??! Why I oughta.....

The 0w-30 and 0w-40 would be the same if they are A3/B4 rated, like the bottle shown in the link you provided.

Last edited:
Ok thanks, so according to the oil-club.ru forum

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=fr&sl=auto&tl=de&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.oil-club.ru%2Fforum%2Ftopic%2F20079-castrol-edge-titanium-fst-0w-40-svezhee%2F

The flashpoint and the NOACK values of the 0w40 are approximatively 225°C and 9% ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: benjy
least we forget castrol-bp low lifes selling syntec as advertised "synthetic" oil illegally even before their $$$ swayed the advertising council to allow group III oils legally labeled + sold as "synthetic" even Amsoil has gone this route not touting PAO base oils as in the past. i for one like to know as much as possible about the $$$ i spend on any product + hate the secrecy used today since the law change. i knew europe was different but not exactly where i was not sure, so is Germany the only place where 50% + above PAO must be used to be legally "synthetic" todays water cooled cars are prolly best served with the cheaper group III base oils, big air cooled motorcycles are another story + IMO benefit from better group IV + V oils. thankfully a few oil blenders see fit to tell you they use the superior base oils, their reasoning of course is to justify their higher pricing. i really enjoy this forum, especially posts from the like of Quattro Pete who surely knows a lot more than the info he gives, but i appreciate that info as getting a little is better than none at all!!!
Castrol sold Group III "illegally"? What statute was violated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back