I firmly believe in TPMS now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally I thought of the TPMS as a nice gadget, one that I'm fine with if it came on the car; but since I check my tires' air pressure myself every month, and have the tires rotated at each oil change, I didn't think it was all that useful.

Ha.

Last night I'm driving out to the suburbs on the Interstate. Suddenly the DIC displays "Low Air Pressure," with a diagram of the car and with the RF tire highlighted. And it showed the pressure, at 23 lbs. As I head toward the nearest exit, I see the pressure steadily dropping: 22, 21, 20 . . .

Fortunately I had my tire inflator in the trunk. But it took 10 solid minutes to fill the tire to 35. I couldn't see a leak, but that kind of slowness to refill meant air was getting out, and not slowly. I hopped back on the highway and off at the next exit, watching and cursing as the 15 pounds I'd put in swiftly escaped back to atmosphere. So I found an empty parking lot and called AAA. They swapped out the cut tire (a cut on the inner shoulder of the Michelin, so not repairable) for the compact spare. It's good for 3000 miles at up to 65, so I've got time to shop.

My point: The TPMS saved me from a blowout or from getting stranded on the side of the highway. Without the warning, I would have thought the tires were fine, until BANG! . And a blowout at highway speeds, well, I don't have to tell you. So be glad you have TPMS. Don't sell it short or dismiss it as "frippery" or "expensive gadgetry"!

The TPMS in wife's Q5 is hardware-less. Still, it did alert me on two separate occasions when I had a screw in the tread and air was escaping slowly. It gave me time to drive over to a local tire shop and have the tire patched. I like it.

You had AAA put on your donut for you? It takes longer to make the phone call than it does to DIY.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
So be glad you have TPMS. Don't sell it short or dismiss it as "frippery" or "expensive gadgetry"!

A good point. I probably take it for granted, when it could actually save me a lot of grief and pain. I'm glad everything turned out okay for you!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
It would be great if it worked consistently, the systems on cars I've driven seem to eat sensors & give false alarms.

Also true - my car has low miles and has already had one replaced - and they ain't cheap.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
You had AAA put on your donut for you? It takes longer to make the phone call than it does to DIY.

It was hot, and I was wearing good clothes. And did I mention it was hot? I just wanted it over with.

Actually AAA answered very quickly. I barely had time to remove all the stuff from my trunk and lift up the floor panel before he pulled up.

Would a leak that have caused blowout? Seems like it was loosing too fast to get hot. I'd think the poor handling would have been noticed--probably around the time the tire was damaged, so, blowout or not, same result.

Glad it worked for you. Mine are so stupid as to be useless--doesn't indicate what tire, and the Camry likes to show system fault whenever I drive it for than half hour. We've long learned to simply ignore it. If it was a smarter system (registering what sensor on what corner) I might have half a mind to fix it.

It would be great if it worked consistently, the systems on cars I've driven seem to eat sensors & give false alarms.

I've had three different brands of vehicles with TPMS sensors dating back to the 2007 model year. I've yet to have any problems with any of the three vehicles. All are still on the original sensors.

Had similar experience as the OP did with a friends Grand Cherokee. Rear tire picked up a screw when going down the expressway, managed to save the tire and later patch it.

The system that's in our Subaru Impreza is a different story. On long expressway drives it throws false alarms, seems to occur mostly when raining.

Ordered the General Altimax (somebody here called it the "Official Tire of BITOG"!) from Tire Rack, and my regular mechanic will put 'em on this week. Vastly less expensive than the OE Michelins. We'll see how they ride and last.

+1 for the above comment. Who here needs to call AAA to put on a doughnut spare?

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

+1 for the above comment. Who here needs to call AAA to put on a doughnut spare?

While most people don't NEED to, it can certainly be convenient in certain situations. If you're dressed nicely, on your way to an event or a date and it's 90F+ and humid outside, I'd rather sit in my car with A/C on and wait for AAA if it does not cost anything extra.

I repeat: Good clothes, jungle-hot conditions. I've changed full-sized and donut spares on my cars in the past. There's no challenge to it anymore.

If I'd forgotten my phone, then I'd have had to grit my teeth and do it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The TPMS in wife's Q5 is hardware-less. Still, it did alert me on two separate occasions when I had a screw in the tread and air was escaping slowly. It gave me time to drive over to a local tire shop and have the tire patched. I like it.

Yup, my wife's Audi and my VW have good ole fashioned rubber valve stems. Our cars use the ABS sensors to detect if a wheel rotates slower or faster due to air loss. One good thing VAG has going for it.

Never had a single issue with the tire pressure sensors in any of my Fords. It must be a thing with other vehicle brands. I had a 2011 F-350 that was sold to an employee. It has 170K miles now & never had a TPMS issue.

They swapped out the cut tire (a cut on the inner shoulder of the Michelin, so not repairable) for the compact spare. It's good for 3000 miles at up to 65, so I've got time to shop.

My point: The TPMS saved me from a blowout or from getting stranded on the side of the highway. Without the warning, I would have thought the tires were fine, until BANG! . And a blowout at highway speeds, well, I don't have to tell you. So be glad you have TPMS. Don't sell it short or dismiss it as "frippery" or "expensive gadgetry"!

I'm glad I have 10ply Load Range E BF Goodriches
lol.gif
happy2.gif

I repeat: Good clothes, jungle-hot conditions. I've changed full-sized and donut spares on my cars in the past. There's no challenge to it anymore.

I respect your right, and decision to do it however you want. This is America!

I must be one of the Blessed one because I've never had an issue with any of my cars with TPMS. I've had two incidents like the OP. Interestingly enough they were both in new Jeeps and I did not have any road hazard on either one of them.
mad.gif

I grew up in Louisiana. I wouldn't want anyone to see me having a spare changed for me.

Its a macho culture down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back