Denso FTF 143-3200 vs Subaru OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks,

I replaced the OEM air filter (16546-AA020F) on my 2008 Subaru Forester X 2.5L (non-turbo) with an Denso FTF 143-3200. This is the first aftermarket Denso product I've ever used and I purchased it on rockauto.com for whopping $4.63 + shipping. Generally speaking I never stray from OEM replacement filters, but I had read positive reviews about other Denso products. The Subaru filter is made in Mexico and the Denso is made in China. At first glance it's nearly identical to the Subaru OEM. It was only when I installed the filter that I noticed how the two are different. If anyone is curious I had the Subaru OEM on for 12 months. The car sees almost nothing but stop and go city driving in a major city.

The following are more detailed pictures of the two:
IMG_1387_zpskdlwx1qm.jpg

IMG_1391_zpsaxu8m2xb.jpg

Subaru 16546-AA020F(left) and Denso FTF 143-3200(right)
IMG_1393_zpsccungtam.jpg

IMG_1394_zpsl7zejflp.jpg

IMG_1392_zpstkz4jyt2.jpg

This image shows the difference in length of the rigid filter section between the two. This is why the Denso fits loose.
IMG_1398_zpsa38dvebt.jpg

Sad that Denso switched their air filters to the FTF Chinese [censored]. Up until a few months ago, they used to have OE quality filters, mostly made in Japan or USA. Now they're all Chinese
mad.gif

For that application, you should use Purolator P1 PA24278 (made in USA) or Fram TG TGA4309 (Mexico)

That same filter also fits a lot of other Subarus and Nissans.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
For that application, you should use Purolator P1 PA24278 (made in USA) or Fram TG TGA4309 (Mexico)

I haven't tried a FRAM TG, but I did try a FRAM CA4309 last year and the media was cut so tall that it caused the filter to bulge in the middle when it sat in the housing.

Originally Posted By: Soobs
I haven't tried a FRAM TG, but I did try a FRAM CA4309 last year and the media was cut so tall that it caused the filter to bulge in the middle when it sat in the housing.

Then it's time to try the PA24278
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back