MB Metris oil and filter?

Purchased a 2016 Metris. I usually run Amsoil in everything. Amsoil has "no suggested product" when searching by vehicle. Owners manual only shows 229.5 cert. The van has the 2.0L turbo engine. It looks like Amsoil Euro oils meet the spec. Thoughts?

Amsoil does not oficially meet MB 229.5 spec. It is only "recommended for" last time I checked.

You can easily find 229.5 spec oil at most auto part stores and even Walmart: Castrol Edge 0w-40, M1 0w-40, etc.

Amsoil Full SAPS 5w40 does officially meet 229.5 spec.

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html

I wouldn't hesitate to use that oil in your application, but Castrol 0w40 and Mobil 1 0w40 are real good alternatives when cost is a factor.

As for filter, I use only Mann or Mahle in Euro cars.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Amsoil does not oficially meet MB 229.5 spec. It is only "recommended for" last time I checked.

You can easily find 229.5 spec oil at most auto part stores and even Walmart: Castrol Edge 0w-40, M1 0w-40, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volvos_rock
Purchased a 2016 Metris. I usually run Amsoil in everything. Amsoil has "no suggested product" when searching by vehicle. Owners manual only shows 229.5 cert. The van has the 2.0L turbo engine. It looks like Amsoil Euro oils meet the spec. Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: drtyler

I wouldn't hesitate to use that oil in your application, but Castrol 0w40 and Mobil 1 0w40 are real good alternatives when cost is a factor.

Main problem is OP did a search in Amsoil website and it has "No Recommendations" for MB Metris.

If a vehicle owner searching for parts/fluids from a website(Amsoil in this case) and found "No Recommendations", what should that owner do ?

The owner can click on "report a problem" button in the look up guide. Which is exactly what I just did. I am curious - is there a viscosity given in the owner's manual?

The oil in question is the EFM, 5W-40 and it's $5.80 qt PC price.

Amsoil EFM 5W-40

I will let you know what HQ says.

Thanks!

Paul

Originally Posted By: drtyler

I am not sure why would Amsoil be better then Castrol 0W40 (which is Full synthetic oil) or M1 0W40.
I personally would run in MB gasser M1 0W40 FS.

Thanks Paul, the reason to use Amsoil, for me, is convenience as I run it in everything else and am a PC.

ETA: no viscosity recommendation in the book, just the 229.5 spec.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volvos_rock
Thanks Paul, the reason to use Amsoil, for me, is convenience as I run it in everything else and am a PC.

ETA: no viscosity recommendation in the book, just the 229.5 spec.

I agree on convenience. Delivered to my door. Worth the cost to not have to go to WM! Explorer would bun about $4 gas there and back too!

Amsoil Classic Euro is a great choice. Meets 229.5. Great oil!
thumbsup2.gif

I have two old MB cars that call for 229.5, so I stocked up with 5 gallons before price increase, and with the $4.95 shipping special.
I am also a PC.

BTW - I use M1, so I am not "hatin' on M1", but I tried it in the 92, and it was the only time oil level dropped below full between OCs. Doesn't happen with Amsoil or LiquiMoly. Just my experience. They have changed the formula on M1 Euro FS lately to be higher SAPS, so the new stuff may work OK in the 92.
28.gif

Of course it is anecdotal, but both my Volvo and the Routan that the Metc replaced are known oil consumers, neither consumed oil running OE Amsoil in the suggested grade during my ownership. So that's the other reason besides convenience I guess.

I've used M1 0w40, Amsoil EFM 5w40 and PP 5w40. Sticking to PP 5w40 as its easy to get, on sale a lot at local auto parts store here in Canada (and I run pennzoil platinum in my other cars too) so might as well stick to the same brand.

Just reference other vehicles with the same MB 2.0T, like a CLA

I also own a Metris! At 3k, still waiting on the first OC, likely use PZ 0w-40, although mid saps oils like Euro L are tempting.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Great vehicle. Price was amazing.

just saw this a year later, lol. Good looking van

Back